Help - Thin & Unkempt Hen

• 5 Replies

SJC

Help - Thin & Unkempt Hen
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:07 »
Hi,

I have a Black Rock hen who is 15months old, but she is very thin, her tail feathers have all seemingly broken off half way down and the feathers on her legs are very downy feathers.  Her back head and neck feathers all seem to be ok when you pick her up she is very thin compared with her flock mates who are the same age.

She is  showing no signs of being unwell, she has layers pellet put out in the morning which she tucks in to, she free ranges round all day with her friends, she has a treat of mixed corn in the afternoon, she lays almost every day, she is wormed regulary, there is no sign of any nasty critters in the house or on the girls and none of the other girls are picking on her, She is bright eyed and has very red comb and wattles.

Sorry to go on but has anybody had anything similar or any ideas.
Thanks

Sarah

helens-hens

Re: Help - Thin & Unkempt Hen
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14 »
Hi Sarah

If she appears well in all other ways I wouldn't worry too much. I have a rhode rock who is quite skinny (laying hens quite often are) and generally a good layer. She is also starting to look a bit scruffy. She is just over 2 but never seems to have had a proper moult but could probably do with one!

Is she preening herself, if she is then as I said, I wouldn't worry too much as this is a sign of normal behaviour. If she isn't preening for some reason then I would make a closer check on her.

Helen
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14 »
They should have access to layers pellets/mash all day and not just in the mornings especially if she is laying. Egg laying breeds as opposed to those bred for meat and egg are thin especially in the breast bone area. Have her feathers broken or are they new ones that have only partially grown back after her winter moult?
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:16 »
There's not much meat on these egg laying birds anyway and if she's moulting she will feel thin and almost weightless.  I had a ginger nut who was always thin but she was fine in herself

If you know she is eating well and has no lodgers you could try her with some poultry spice to perk her condition up a bit.  Make sure they have a good supply of greens too, things like broccoli and brassica leaves etc which are good sources of calcium. Egg laying and the cold winter do take it out of them and come spring they might be in need of a boost

Keep a close eye on her too to make sure she gets her share of pellets.  I take it that they have a good brand of layer pellets

SJC

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 20:36 »
Hi,

Thanks for the replys.
They are feed on Marriages pellets, they are put out fresh every morning and left all day for them, they are feed ad hoc greens.  It appears to me that her tail feathers have broken about half way down the shaft.
Thanks

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 21:14 »
I'm not sure what would cause that, unless she's been grabbed by a dog or cat!  Maybe someone on here will have an answer

xx
Birds too thin??

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 21:29
by Foxy
xx
Thin girlie?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 09:05
by chickenlady
xx
Thin eggshell!!

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 17:04
by Jomtie
xx
Thin duck

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 16:56
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 37 queries.