Sweetcorn Advice

• 11 Replies

Avocetboy

Sweetcorn Advice
« on: August 17, 2010, 21:12 »
Hi everyone, my first post and I am pretty new to allotments.

We have had a large vegetable patch / allotment for a couple of years now with varying degrees of success. However, harvested a sweetcorn today as opening it up revealed that the Kernels were turning yellow. But, after peeling back the husk, only 20% of the cob appeared to have yellow, developed kernels, with the rest of it having what looked like, undeveloped kernels. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it just a case of picking them too early?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 21:19 »
Welcome to the site  :D

It sounds like they weren't fully pollinated to me.  Each kernel needs to be individually pollinated by the pollen which is found at the top of the plant.  If the cobs look generally full sized, it may well be too late for this year, but you can always try giving the stalks a regular tap to try to shake the pollen downwards towards the tassels / cobs.  Did you grow the corn in a block or a row?  If a row, that will contribute to poor pollination too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Avocetboy

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 21:25 »
Welcome to the site  :D

It sounds like they weren't fully pollinated to me.  Each kernel needs to be individually pollinated by the pollen which is found at the top of the plant.  If the cobs look generally full sized, it may well be too late for this year, but you can always try giving the stalks a regular tap to try to shake the pollen downwards towards the tassels / cobs.  Did you grow the corn in a block or a row?  If a row, that will contribute to poor pollination too.

Thanks for a prompt response. The sweetcorn are planted in two rows side by side, but, and this could be the reason, i was advised to pull out the tops a couple of months ago, which I did!! Presumeably this affected pollination...Ah well, I shall know better next time!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 21:32 »
Thanks for a prompt response. The sweetcorn are planted in two rows side by side, but, and this could be the reason, i was advised to pull out the tops a couple of months ago, which I did!! Presumeably this affected pollination...Ah well, I shall know better next time!!

Find another advisor ASAP!

It's amazing you got any pollinated cobs! Yorkie is 100% correct, although I have to say sweetcorn don't exactly help themselves by producing the pollen-bearing spikes before the female tassels are fully developed. Certainly a good idea to grow in blocks, and if you can stagger planting them out by a week or so there will be more pollen about to fertilise the late developers!  ;)

Edit: If you are growing mini-cobs then the advice was correct (didn't think of that option when I read your original post!)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 21:49 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 17:49 »
"i was advised to pull out the tops a couple of months ago,"

They aren't mini-corn are they? If so that would be reasonable advice and you need to harvest them when they are much smaller.

For "normal corn" :) I would add to the earlier advice to make your successional plantings towards the prevailing wind - i.e. the wind will carry pollen from later plantings onto the earlier ones.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 18:10 by Kristen »

cornishgirl

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 19:34 »
Hey, I don't know where you live but here in Cornwall (very mild and very temperate) I wouldn't even think about harvesting sweetcorn until the beginning of September. If I went out now and looked at one of my cobs I would expect probably 50% ripeness - to come on in 3 weeks time. In Sheffield where I used to live - beginning of October in a mild year (otherwise forget it). I now use a variey specifically for early ripeining in Northern Europe, available from TM. Brilliant!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 20:01 »
Here in Kent I started eating my corn 3 weeks ago, so IMO yours are late for where you live, Cornishgirl ::)

cornishgirl

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 20:09 »
Ha Ha yes, well actually the south east is much so much warmer and drier than here so you win - I guess I was comparing it to the north!

Avocetboy

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 20:53 »
Hey, I don't know where you live but here in Cornwall (very mild and very temperate) I wouldn't even think about harvesting sweetcorn until the beginning of September. If I went out now and looked at one of my cobs I would expect probably 50% ripeness - to come on in 3 weeks time. In Sheffield where I used to live - beginning of October in a mild year (otherwise forget it). I now use a variey specifically for early ripeining in Northern Europe, available from TM. Brilliant!

Lincolnshire, Cornishgirl...The kernals that were in existance were yellow, sweet and tasty, so I reckons they were ripe and, Kristen, my "advisor" may have thought they were mini corn...Some you win, some you lose..At least my Butternut Squash are looking good, first one picked yesterday for inclusion in a Risotto.

cornishgirl

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 21:00 »
Well done you - butternuts are the best squahes I think!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 09:55 »

Don't know whether you left Sheffield in the days when it still had a thriving steel industry and the sun barely got through the smog Cornishgirl but things are much better now!

Pic of part of last night's dinner (tried to show the juice looking like a thin yellowish cream but it hasn't really come out very well!)

Variety is Swift, and I know it's been said before but there is nothing you can grow which is more fantastically superior to the bought variety (but only if you like sweetcorn!)  :) 
sweetcorn 2010.JPG

Avocetboy

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 20:04 »
Well, despite the fact that many of my cobs were pretty sparse, kernal wise, we did harvest 4 today that were 80% full. And, they were gorgeous....

xx
Sweetcorn advice

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 11:49
by Salmo
xx
Sweetcorn advice

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 09:39
by Growing4mykids
xx
sweetcorn advice

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 10:57
by JayG
xx
sweetcorn advice please

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 11:09
by DD.

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.