Sweetcorn advice

• 4 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn advice
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:50 »
My Sweetcorn is about 5ft high and has just developed flowers at the top. My question is that they have quite a few side shoots off the main stem. I broke of the bottom side shoots as advised, but I'm not sure about these other side shoots going further up the stem. Will these develop corn on them or is it just at the top?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn advice
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:57 »
Opinion is a bit divided as to whether you should leave or remove the 'tillers' which grow up from ground level (I leave them) but there is no question about the side shoots growing from further up the stem - they are your female flowers which will hopefully turn into cobs and you must leave them where they are.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58 »
Heygrow,  the  'side shoots' are in fact the immature sweetcorn cobs, so don't whatever you do take those off.  The sweetcorn doesn't grow out of the top (except for some odd mutations on occasion).

Some people take off what are called "tillers" that grow either side of the main stem, but I don't.  I find they help with the plant's stability and very occasionally they produce a cob or two themselves.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:40 »
Thanks for the advice. My first year growing corn, so I was a bit unsure, but glad I checked. I guess I could have left the bottom tillers on.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:49 »
I read some American research on this. They found that the side tillers contribute to the main plant to start with but cease to do so once they start developing sweetcorn heads of their own. Even then they do not detract from the main plant. The conclusion was that you may as well leave them. Usually sweetcorn heads on side tillers do not come to much.

xx
Sweetcorn Advice

Started by Avocetboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 20:04
by Avocetboy
xx
sweetcorn advice please

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 11:09
by DD.
xx
Sweetcorn advice

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 09:39
by Growing4mykids
sad
Need advice re: my sweetcorn

Started by Aramintha on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 10:00
by Aramintha

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 29 queries.