Picking chillies, will it encourage more

• 6 Replies

Ema

Picking chillies, will it encourage more
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:47 »
I've got 2 cherry bom plants, theyve got about 10 ping pong ball sized chillies on each plant. It's been like this for a few weeks and the chillies are still green. Should I pick these to encourage more to form? I'm feeding twice a week
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:57 by Ema »

compostqueen

Re: Picking chillies, will it encourage more
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:01 »
I'd be picking them as I use tons of chillies. They might ripen off the plant if you stick em with a banana in a bowl I don't feed mine twice a week, I scarce feed them at all. I water them once I see chillies forming and then maybe later to keep them going, but I generally treat em mean

I love growing and eating chillies.  I swap chilli plants with my pal so we always have something new try

Take care with your chillies and be careful where you put them. Keep them away from kids and animals!  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:51 »
Am another chilli addict - picking them might help, but they might do it on their own. My lemon drop chilli had its first flush in April (overwintered) and are now flowering again - I've only picked a couple as we're still working through the ones in the freezer from last year. Soon though!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 15:02 »
My cayenne pepper plants stop flowering as soon as they have set a flush of fruits, and start again when they are picked off when ripe (they do this all year round, although not as quickly in winter!)

What I can't tell you is whether this is typical of all peppers, or indeed whether they would flower again if the fruits weren't removed.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 17:56 »
generally treat em mean

Aha that explains why my first ones are successful.  Not very good at remembering to TLC greenhouse stuff when there's a whole plot asking for attention  :D  So pick now and dry off?  I've got red & green ones.

Ema

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:09 »
If I don't water these guys thoroughly every few days the leaves shrivel. I woul be good to be able to get them out of the mini gh on really hot days but there wedged in at the back so it's too much of a faff.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:42 »
I always treat mine mean, because I am useless at watering, shame I also forget to water my tomatoes which have dropped loads of fruit and have blossom end rot :( :(

Chillis are growing fantastically well though and I never pick them till ripe. I often pick one and test it in the green house, if I start to hiccup then they are ready :D

generally treat em mean

Aha that explains why my first ones are successful.  Not very good at remembering to TLC greenhouse stuff when there's a whole plot asking for attention  :D  So pick now and dry off?  I've got red & green ones.

xx
Does anyone encourage birds into their allotment?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 17:07
by Jeanieblue
xx
Picking cabbage...

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 09:37
by sunshineband
xx
Pumpkin picking when?

Started by Babycat on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 13:23
by muntjac
clip
Picking cabbages.

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2015, 21:51
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 37 queries.