Grafted Plants

• 7 Replies

Mr Dog

Grafted Plants
« on: January 07, 2015, 14:02 »
I know a few people on here grow grafted toms/cucs/aubergines/peppers. For interest they might like to look at Defland Nurseries (search organicplants) who also supply some heritage tomato varieties.

Maarten

Re: Grafted Plants
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 17:18 »
I had some fun last year with grafting one pole bean variety onto another. The roots were from a variety with lots of leaves but not too many beans early enough in the year, and the tops from a variety with more or less the opposite features. Grafting was surprisingly easy and successful, however the result wasn't worth it. It took the plants some time to recover and I didn't notice any improvement in the yield. But, it was a fun thing to do.

Robster

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 00:01 »
I think someday I'll try a grafting experiment myself, tomatoes maybe.  But I'm not sure I'm ready to buy plants yet.  I know the economic argument about yield can be made.  But I'm still not ready

wighty

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04 »
I bought two grafted tomato plants from a local GC.  They took over the greenhouse but produced very little fruit and those they did were not the best tasting.  This year I'm not going to bother and stick to my usuals.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 13:45 »
I know the economic argument about yield can be made.
An additional argument is disease resistance and nutrient uptake - they can help if growing in a greenhouse border to avoid having to change the soil regularly.

Like all bought-in plants there is not so much choice as growing your own from seed ... so grafting your own might be necessary :)

Robster

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 23:08 »
Kristen,
It could be fun sometime when there's a bit more time.  I guess you'd get the plant for the rootstock started well ahead and the top stock normal time.  Moneymaker root and  a cherry tomato variety on top maybe.  But the comments about flavour are worrying I wonder if the root influences that? I guess its possible,

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:12 »
It could be fun sometime when there's a bit more time.  I guess you'd get the plant for the rootstock started well ahead and the top stock normal time.  Moneymaker root and  a cherry tomato variety on top maybe.  But the comments about flavour are worrying I wonder if the root influences that? I guess its possible,

You can buy F1 seed of the rootstock, such as Arnold, and you are right that it needs to be sown slightly ahead of the scion variety.  likelihood is, for small scale production, that quite a lot will be wasted in trying to grow plants of equal thickness stems to make a successful graft, and rootstock seed isn't cheap ... so this won't be a cheap exercise, but it would get you a variety of your choice on a rootstock that suits your requirement for disease resistance / nutrient uptake from tired greenhouse soil / etc.

Not something I have done, but a chum of mine has been doing it for several years and has been very pleased with the results.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 10:00 »
Last year we grafted a Beefsteak and a cherry tomato onto one tobacco root stock plant, two plants on one plant, It was fun but I won't bother this year, they never tasted that good anyway.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
Grafted Plants.

Started by marcofez on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 08:01
by New shoot
xx
how and why - Grafted plants

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 16:22
by Jamrock
xx
grafted plants

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 21:35
by allot2learn
xx
Grafted tomato plants

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 23:34
by gogoagogo

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 32 queries.