too much rain??

• 5 Replies

summer-sun

too much rain??
« on: April 01, 2008, 21:34 »
Can any one advise me when is the right time to start putting in carrots, parsnips, broc' etc..... i put my potatos in last weekend and was hoping to get my carrots in this week, some one told me that the ground is far to wet to start putting these things in just yet and the let the soil dry a little! is this the right thing to do?? if not when should i start?

nobby

• Experienced Member
too much rain??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 21:43 »
I live in north hampshire wich is quite close to you and mine went in last week end so have a look this week end
your ground mite be heaver than mine so try sticking the spade in give it a slight wiggle then filling the thing trench left behind with a50-50 sand compost mix then plant into that

summer-sun

too much rain??
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 21:49 »
I also got told about the sand thing i have never heard of that, so i might give it ago, the ground is very wet, just big lumps of mud really to me!! I think if i leave it a while it might be a little less work, but i don't want to leave it too late! does it have to be any type of sand or can i pinch a bucket full form the sand pit!! (kids will never know!! :D  so just mix it up the the soil then?

Summer :lol:

clive f

• Experienced Member
too much rain??
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 21:53 »
Don't worry summer-sun april is plenty early enough for carrot's, parsnip's, like DD alway's say's they'll catch up  :wink:

gobs

too much rain??
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 21:53 »
I'd agree with Nobby, unless you are locally a flood plain, your personal plan sounds good to me. :)

Not all advice you get is full of wisdom, look at the produce and garden of people too, when deciding whom you take advice from. 8)

If you are waterlogged (you can easily check and also drainage - dig a spade's depths hole, is there water standing in it or not), you got to think about doing something for the long run, as I'm doing your suggested planting and you so much further south you could even get an earlier start. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Nikkithefoot

too much rain??
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 23:17 »
I have carrots, beetroot and radish all germinating outside. Mind you I do have very sandy soil which is fairly free draining. I have sandstone / clay type subsoil (never really made its aquaintance, but my lawn and paths flood in torrential rain). Once the seed was sown I covered them with cloches mainly to protect form cats, but also as it turned out stopped them getting washed away in the rain :) .

Best advice though is too look at what other more experienced gardeners / lottie holders are growing locally. Even if you are slightly behind in your planned plantings most things do catch up.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
rain, rain glorious rain!

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 09:43
by digger1957
xx
RAIN RAIN AND VEGETABLES

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2007, 22:36
by Annie
xx
Rain

Started by spudkins on Grow Your Own

100 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 20:39
by mumofstig
xx
Rain

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 21, 2006, 09:37
by mellowmick

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 28 queries.