Wood ash

• 10 Replies

Beetroot queen

Wood ash
« on: June 09, 2013, 13:41 »
About two years ago someone gave us half a sack of wood ash, due to the fact that all beds were full to bursting apart from one. Hubby dumped it on and dug it in.

We now have two redcurrant bushes in that bed which are doing great, but the soil is so different to the rest of the plot. It hardly ever grows weeds and it so crumbly and easy to hoe. Is this all down to the wood ash or just a good patch on the allotment.   :unsure: sorry mad face deleted i missed the right one
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 14:27 by Beetroot queen »

Trillium

Re: Wood ash
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 18:34 »
An overdose of ashes isn't good for any soil as it's alkaline and can change the pH balance.

I suspect that the redcurrant patch already had a stream of good soil there and the ashes helped balance out a slightly acidic pH there. 

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 19:56 »
Thanks thats usefull for future ash, hubby is a bit dump it down and look into it later, but he means well.  ::)

Lincolnshire Floyd

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 20:12 »
Thanks thats usefull for future ash, hubby is a bit dump it down and look into it later, but he means well.  ::)

Wood ash contains potash and Lawrence Hills recommends it at about 4 to 6 oz per square yard under fruit bushes. Half a sack is not much compared to the load I put round my apple trees and if it is suppressing the weeds that's an added bonus isn't it? But it's a good soil conditioner as you have discovered.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 23:16 »
On the advice of a commercial grower I put a load of wood ash round my black currants and they grew like triffids and produce huge crops. This year I'm going to make black currant juice ice lollies!

Stree

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 23:31 »
I mix woodash from my stove into the compost I mix for my tomatoes, along with a bit of grit sand.
I save the woodash and keep it dry and rub it down so there are no big lumps in it.
I also spread it round the base of the raspberries blackcurrants  and apple trees..... Far as I am concerned the alkali issue mentioned is outgunned by the benefits its proper use can give.
Yes, too much of anything is bad, but people should not be put off using what is mostly a free and natural resource.

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:36 »
Garlic adores wood ash as do raspberrie's

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18 »
Garlic adores wood ash as do raspberrie's

Ahhhhh we have plenty of raspberries  :D

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12 »
thanks for all the  info will try it out

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 12:39 »
I took the ash contents of a couple of nights use from my chiminia - about 2 ice cream tubs worth and sprinkled it over my garlics and onions at the weekend. I was thinking that potash was good for them and kind of thought that the burnt wood must be similar so we shall see!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 12:44 »
We can only try things and see. Its the only bed i like hoeing as its so easy, hehe that has to be a bonus.

xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
xx
wood ash

Started by Kathie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 22:10
by solway cropper
xx
What to do with wood ash?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 20:38
by snowdrops
xx
wood ash

Started by BostonInbred on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 22:41
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 36 queries.