What winter bothersome bugs & critters do we have to contend with?

• 3 Replies

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Hiya

What bugs or critters do we have to contend with in the winter months? I know the slugs and snails will be around, but what else eats brassicas, leeks, onions, broad beans, winter peas, etc?

Mice and the bigger boys, but what else?

Thanks
Tina
herbiegrowsbananas

paintedlady

a lot depends on what happens over winter - if it turns out to be very mild, a lot of bugs just keep on going especially those that can take shelter from any sharp frosts ... whitefly in the brassica beds in particular don't seem to go away.  Having said that, if it is mild, I've even seen ladybirds around too.  And of course, there are the slugs ....

However, if it turns out cold with very hard frosts over long periods, the plants are more likely to suffer - they actually start to falter from lack of water, and frostbite can do some serious damage.  High winds can knock over stuff (make sure you firm in those brassicas to prevent them rocking) and heavy rains can turn beds into a swamp

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:29 by paintedlady »
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Fisherman

Biggest problem I have especially if its cold is from woodpigeons and pheasants eating anything green (brassicas, beans & peas) so I have to net everything. Snails hibernate in winter and slugs become less active if and when it goes cold but they can be a pain if it remains mild. Keep an eye out for aphid infestations if you cover your crops with fleece or mesh as ideal conditions are created under them.

binner

• Experienced Member
PIDGEONS!!!
nightmare on my plot, i have to net onions and brassicas for most of the year
first year grower

xx
Swimming Critters!

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 22:42
by agapanthus
xx
What the devil are these critters?

Started by beachlover on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 17:27
by WG.
xx
Critters in me greenhouse

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 18:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Burrowing critters

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 23:21
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 32 queries.