grapes help

• 6 Replies

shaz

grapes help
« on: June 22, 2006, 09:13 »
Had our allotment 2 months about took on a plot with loads of stuff lucky us. Greenhouses with grapes please help dont know what to with them. loads of fruit just been watering . They are getting bigger. Any advise welcome with open arms. :?
shaz

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
grapes help
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:23 »
get lots of demi johns  :D  :D

Oliver

Re: grapes help
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 14:45 »
Quote from: "shaz"
Greenhouses with grapes

You lucky devil, you!
One of her friends has grapes growing in her conservatory - the friend thins the bunches (removes some of the baby grapes) so the grapes have space to grow. Its a pretty labour intensive business, but the end result if terrific. They taste lovely I'm told. She gives bunches away as presents - lines a supermarket plastic tray - the kind you get a roasting chicken on (yum yum) - with tissue paper and puts the bunch on top. Look lovely.
I'll get my human to ask her about pruning and things if you like.
Here's a picture of her grapes.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

noshed

grapes help
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 14:50 »
I've inherited a grapevine too (outdoor) and I've done a bit of research. I think they grow like mad whether you like it or not but if you want bigger grapes you have to take off some of the bunches and even some of the grapes within the bunches.
I've decided to leave mine this year and see what happens, I'm just tying it on the adjacent (tall) fence as it grows. And I just mulched it with manure in January, (after cutting it right back because I though it was a dead triffid and then I realised what it was.)
The woman whose plot it was told me (after I'd been at it with the secateurs) the grapes were nice, so I'm looking forward to the results.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mixdiver

grapes help
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 15:30 »
Can also stuff the leaves (greek dish v v nice) if you have to much greenery

Mixdiver
Digging away to keep the weight down!

comic_muse

grapes help
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 17:36 »
More useless 'guess work' (sorry)....inspired by my allotment being covered in the bl**dy things ! when I took it on.  You really need to know the variety & get a decent reference book on pruning !  Mine were outside.....Glory of Boskoop, Gloire de Boskoop, black, dessert / wine dual purpose.  I toyed with keeping some in situe but too much of a mess.  My 'mate' !!....who's ground it had been pestered me to keep some 'roots' which I did.  I've tried my darned'est to see them off......but they've kept going & on very old very spent Grow bag compost with water when I remember & are like a 'thicket' in pots in the greenhouse......guess I'll have to plant them out sometime !  Seriously complicated business getting them set up, but it seems to get easier once you've got a 'regime' organised.  ( & yours are obviosuly established ) Basics seem to be, don't thin for wine, but thin drastically for the table ? get pruning bang on from the start, taking off all new growth in the 'winter' ?  I'd 'google' it there's bound to be some step by step guides somewhere....keep us posted, especially if you work out how to give them their come-uppance, cos I've failed despite all efforts !
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

shaz

grapes help
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 09:03 »
GREAT ADVICE THANKS ALL :D ILL TRY IT   hubby wants to try to make wine kids want to eat then know.  think i might thin out leave bigger bunchs :!:

clip
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2020, 16:13
by jambop
xx
grapes

Started by van connick on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 18:54
by van connick
xx
Grapes

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:23
by Starling
xx
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 10:34
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 33 queries.