coriander

• 5 Replies

garddwr

coriander
« on: November 06, 2008, 22:04 »
Does anyone grow coriander ? Is it easy ? What conditions does it like ?

Ice

• muck spreader
coriander
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 22:21 »
I've got two types just getting started in the greenhouse at the moment.  Usually I grow it during the warmer weather in buckets filled with compost.  It likes full sun but tends to bolt when stressed.  It takes a long time to germinate, well at least mine do.  I love it because you can eat the leaves, roots and seeds.
Cheese makes everything better.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
coriander
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 00:04 »
I grow it on my kitchen window from March onwards and in my herb patch during the summer.  

Dead easy to grow but doesn't like the cold.  I've only ever followed the instructions on the back of the seed packet and it was fine this year even with the shocking summer.  My herb patch is very sheltered and my kitchen window is very warm and sunny.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

home made pie

• Experienced Member
coriander
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 19:27 »
the slugs love it so watch out if its outside, after losing loads to slugs I now only grow mine in the greenhouse, sowed some a few weeks ago, it's growing well but very slow due to cold weather so I'm gonna bring it into the kitchen

Jan

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
coriander
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 19:43 »
Sheesh!  Slugs and corriander!  Say what you like about a slug, it has taste.

I've got pea shingle covering my whole herb patch now.  By and large the plants seem to enjoy it.  It seems to keep the slugs off for the most part and the herb's roots don't get so waterlogged.  It also keeps the plants looking more upright and compact and it's easier to see and remove weeds.

It took 8 bags at £1.23 per bag (from B&Q) to cover the patch.  I've easily made that back with a couple of weeks of herb use based on Tesco herb bag prices.

I'm planning a herb patch special on my blog next month so you'll be able to see the pics.

Swing Swang

coriander
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 20:00 »
Personally I find it V easy to grow. Handful here and there regularly during late spring/summer/early autumn. I'm only interested in leaves and not seeds.

Up the middle of a double row of runner/French beans works well if you want leaves only and are happy with one cutting rather than cut and come again.

Packets of seed are way too small/too expensive IMO. Advise save own seed from a 'leaf' variety rather than plant a packet of cooking seeds if you're after leaves.

I use them in a very traditional Portuguese soup (Acorda Alentejana) - Poach an egg in salted water water or in a good quality clear fish stock/can use a clear chicken stock as a non-traditional alternative. Place poached egg on a slice of decent bread in a soup bowl. Add a couple of cloves of finely chopped garlic to the water/stock, bring back to the boil until softened. Add the coriander leaves to the stock stir in briefly until cooked to taste (don't over do it) and pour over the poached egg/bread. Drizzle a little quality olive oil over the top. A tasty starter or humble meal.

Try substituting mint or (preferably) pennyroyal for the coriander. The pennyroyal alternative works really well with a clear rabbit stock.

Regards,

SS

xx
Coriander

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 09:45
by suesowsseed
xx
coriander?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 22:45
by WG.
xx
Coriander

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2019, 21:57
by Florablunder
xx
Coriander

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 23:50
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 28 queries.