struggling with lice

• 11 Replies

karlooben

struggling with lice
« on: April 05, 2009, 19:52 »
i have daitom my girls about a month or so ago as well as using delicing powder long before that , an i still cant quite get rid off them . i have had one girl who keeps going quiet an seems to stay in the house on her own , i checked her today an she had lice again so once more shes had a good powdering so i think this is what is making herr down  . but some still have what i assume are clumbs of eggs under thier wings and also on some other parts of thier bodies mainly towards the base of the feather stems is it ok to cut those of  not that i feel brave enough to do that but i cant see any other way of getting rid of them and i want it cleared before i get my new girls . i gave some daitom in thier tea time feed tonight .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Roughlee Handled

Re: struggling with lice
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 20:16 »

Are you sure they are lice and not red spider mite?  Daitom will not work in there feed. It is for external use.  If my memory serves me correctly it is a prehistoric shell or remains of. 

Please check.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 20:20 »
they dont look like red mite , these things are tiny tiny little light brown things . on the tub it said internal an external use ?? if i had someone who was albe enough to take pics then i would get some put on here but was hard enough work trying to get someone to take a pic of thier legs yesterday while i held them  :lol:.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 20:23 »
Hi Looby

The eggs will stay on the feathers until they next moult but they aren't necessarily alive :)
I tend to use Frontline, although not registered for poultry use it stops them in their tracks :)

Other thing you can use that will kill the actual lice straight away is Johnston's Anti mite & insect spray, sold for cage birds (budgies etc...) so you can get it at most pet shops. This wont kill the eggs so a repeat treatment a week later will be required :)

You can cut the worst of the feathers off but they are very close to the skin so not easy :)

Sarah :D

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 20:33 »
thankyou guys , i didnt want to be cutting any feathers away as they are to close to the skin an i dont want to be cuting any of them  :(.

i will pop to the local bird avairy centre tomorw afternoon if i get the time as jack as a check up at the vets tomorw due to his tetanus , why does this all happen on the first 2 weeks of each month when i have very little money  :lol: :lol: could it be why this girl seems skinny compared to the rest cause of the lice i know i need to worm them with flubenvet  which i will be doing  as soon as it arrives in the post .

Vember

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 20:37 »
Not sure about it making them thin Looby ???

I know when I first got the buff orps & barnevelders they were riddled and not laying. No sooner had I treated them than they started to lay :D
Might have be coincidence though :lol:

Ps hope it goes ok with Jack tomorrow :)

Sarah :D

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 20:45 »
i shall let you know  heheheheeh no doubt the vet will check him in the car park again my jack is lethal inside the building  :ohmy:

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 21:50 »
Lice are flat and brown and easily seen on brown hens(!) as opposed to spider mite which you wont be able to see on them. We used invermectin  - I think that's right - a drop on the back of the neck and that worked in 24 hours. Mind you I was itching for days, Nic.

philthegill

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 00:09 »
Frontline for lice seems a brilliant idea. What sort of dosage do you use?

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 05:52 »
You may also need to spray the inside of the coop as well and give the bedding a change. Some may be slipping off the birds after they feed and slipping into cracks. I forget how long they can last between feeds but it's quite a long time.

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 20:00 »
i have done a quick spray around the hen house an cleaned out the beding an they now have flax chippings ,. some have had barriers lice control powder on them but not all as i was sort for time today due to pup going to the vets .

i've got to sort this out and fast as i could be getting my other 6 rescues this month an i dont want them to be ill .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 00:00 »
Frontline for lice seems a brilliant idea. What sort of dosage do you use?

It's all covered here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

Take the time to read a few of the articles in the Poultry Information section.  They are very informative :)

xx
Struggling with integration.....

Started by chickenmclicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 21:45
by joyfull
xx
Struggling to know what to feed them on!

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 17:56
by redmolly
thumbdown
new to poultry and really struggling

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 00:33
by henrietta5
xx
My hen would appear to have jaundice and I'm struggling to find help

Started by RosiesWalk on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 15:53
by Casey76

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 36 queries.