Self blanching celery

• 9 Replies

Plot74

• tilly
Self blanching celery
« on: June 27, 2012, 22:27 »
I noticed in the garden centre today they were selling self blanching celery.
How easy is it to grow and how would you plant it ?
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

BabbyAnn

Re: Self blanching celery
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:16 »
The difference between ordinary and self blanching celery is how you grow them.  Celery is normally trenched and earthed up so that the stalks blanch and remain tender, whereas self blanching are planted at soil level but grown closer together so that they cast shadow on each other which also encourages them to grow taller (stalks then shouldn't be tough)

Celery like very fertile soil and need plenty of water, and preferably grown somewhere sheltered rather than somewhere exposed where the stalks toughen up to withstand the wind.

I'd say generally easy to grow but from my experience (though may have been the variety I grew), I found the stalks are better used diced in soups etc for flavour rather than eating fresh.  But at least they were easy to freeze (just dice, bag up and in the freezer) and I would take out what I needed whenever  :)

sarajane

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:26 »
Exactly what I do BabyAnn.

I've tried a couple of times to try and reproduce what we buy in the shop but it always turns out rather green and thin.  Ideal for chopping up for soups and stews though as you only need a small handful for the taste and saves on buying it just for a stew.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:41 »
Plant them in a square block about 9 inches apart. The outside ones shade the inside ones and keep them blanched. If you can put some boards round the outside it will blanch the outside ones. Water, water and more water is the secret to keeping them tender. Usually mine only have a few tender stalks in the centre but the outside stalks are fine for cooking. You need to eat them before the frosts in the Autumn.

Trench celery is best not grown in a trench and earthed up. Better to plant on the level and then blanch by tying on thick paper or corrugated cardboard collars. Much more of a fiddle.

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:32 »
Right then, a sheltered spot and lots of water...so planting on top of an exposed hill with no access to mains water wasn't such a good idea. D'oh! as a great man once said

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 14:48 »
To get those supermarket thick celery stalks you need a lot of very regular irrigation right at the roots.

sarajane

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 22:43 »
I think every part of the country is getting regular irrigation this year
 :nowink:

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 22:48 »
Given the replies I think I will try some at home as I can't get to the allotment every day, if they need that much. Water and attention .
Many thanks
John

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 23:11 »
I grew some of this last year (and am growing more this year) - we also have no mains water - they're looking great after all this rain, but even last year when it was dry dry dry in the Midlands, they did ok. I just made sure I mulched them after a heavy watering

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 23:40 »
I've put some Fenlander? celery in that I was given a couple of months ago.

I didn't have very high hopes for it because the person that had started them off must have put a packet of 1000 seeds into one tray and every one germinated and they were looking very anaemic, but I put them into a bed that I had been putting fresh rabbit poop onto and with that and the rain they're romping away.

I've lost one or two to snails so I'm going to try to transplant the disparate outlying ones so that they are back in a block, but I'm also going to try to shade them with some sprouts nearby to keep them tender and prevent them from going too green (which I don't like).

xx
Self-blanching celery

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 22:12
by fatcat1955
xx
Blanching Celery

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 16:01
by Trillium
xx
Self-blanching celery

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 20:54
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
self blanching celery

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2021, 10:41
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 35 queries.