Tomato plants - yellow patches

• 13 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:43 »
Hi everyone
I am hoping to be able to download some photos of my tomato plants which have problems I can't identify.

I haven't downloaded photos before so this may not work first time - please bare with me  :oops:

I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:44 »
Well yippeeeeeee....I did it.

Sorry they are a bit bigger than I expected.

Can anyone tell me what might have caused the leaf damage please?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 13:13 »
That could simply be leaf scorch, sunlight magnified through water droplets on the leaves.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 13:41 »
Quote from: "DD."
That could simply be leaf scorch, sunlight magnified through water droplets on the leaves.

Hi DD
thanks I thought it might be that at first but new leaves also seem to be coming through with it on.

I love this website and reading through the posts, some great tips and some really funny ones, makes for smashing website so I really hesitate to ask this question in case it seems impertinent - I assure you thats not the case.

On the Grow Your Own section could it be possible to have folders for individual veg or fruit which could then have sub folders relating to say problems, growing tips, recommended varieties, etc.

I do spend a lot of time going though old posts and search process trying to see if a question has been raised previously and looking for advice. Having specific folders for each of the most popular veg/fruit grown could be really useful.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 13:57 »
Looks to me like you've done what I did, Maryann - got water/tomato feed on the foliage  :lol:
They'll be alright, but best to avoid the foliage/plant itself when watering. I'll try to be more careful, too :oops:

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 14:08 »
Ah well that could be it then, I am always in a rush and maybe have overwatered a tad  :oops:

Also this was my first year at sewing in paper pots and I got a lot of mould on the original pots which caused me a bit of concern as well.

It's great on here to share tips and also to share problems....always something to learn.

I'm now looking at carrot growing and can feel lots of questions popping into my head already  :?

Thanks for replies  :wink:

NR3Charlie

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 14:08 »
This is my first post, so hello to everyone, I took all my toms out of my little 4 shelf greenhouse yesterday because of this, I read that it may be some kind of virus, so I'm now down to 2 plants without this blotching.

I'll water straight into the pots and check for any blotches on new growth, best put them back in the greenhouse now.

Funny that this topic was here just as my heart sank after finding this yesterday.

Thanks for the advice, great site and forum

Charlie

Norwich

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 14:27 »
Quote from: "NR3Charlie"
This is my first post, so hello to everyone, I took all my toms out of my little 4 shelf greenhouse yesterday because of this, I read that it may be some kind of virus, so I'm now down to 2 plants without this blotching.

I'll water straight into the pots and check for any blotches on new growth, best put them back in the greenhouse now.

Funny that this topic was here just as my heart sank after finding this yesterday.

Thanks for the advice, great site and forum

Charlie

Norwich

This is exactly the reason I asked earlier about having specific 'folders' for each veg or fruit. Then for people like Charlie and myself it would really really help to go straight to the folder and look at all post relating to problems with tomatoes (or whatever veg you have concerns about).

I do hope it isn't a virus Charlie as I have 37 plants growing (3 different varieties) and most of them showing these blotches. Fingers crossed it is just water/sun damage.

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 17:51 »
I was going to post an idetncial picture with a similar query, so thanks !
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 18:32 »
You're welcome and I do hope anyone else with same or similar problem  doesn't lose their toms and that it is just a case of sun damage or watering incorrectly........please don't let it be a virus  :(

Happy gardening.

Sassy Lassy

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 08:18 »
I posted just such a problem with my tomatoes about 3 weeks ago.  Have a look for Sassy Lassy.

I was also worried, although mine were about 3 times the size.  I fed them and crossed my fingers.  They are now about 3 foot tall, extremely robust and looking great.  The lower leaves still have this lacey effect, but with no sign of it spreading I am confident mine, at least wasn't a virus.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sassy Lassy

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:39 »
Hi there SL

Thanks for your reply as it is so reassuring to see others on here with same or similar problems.

Without going on and on about it I wonder if the site owner would consider the option of creating folders for the most common veg and fruit discussed on here where topics could be posted for just that plant. It would be so easy then to just click onto that folder and search through the posts to find advice or post something relevant.

I did run a search prior to posting but somehow it missed Sassy Lassy's post as searches are often hit and miss for various reasons.

Would be nice to click on Tomato's or Potatoes or Beans and have a search through to see if there's anything there to assist. I know there is an information section on the home page but would be nice to have the forum pages in sub sections ..... wouldn't it  :D

Sorry for pushing this point but I belong to another website forum for Camping and Motorhomers and it works like that and it incredibly easy to use and so helpful I thought it worth mentioning on here.

Sassy Lassy

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 13:43 »
I agree, maybe its worth suggesting to the admin people.  There may be a very good reason not too.

Good luck with the toms

Sassy

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 14:11 »
Looks like usual young-tomato plant stress to me.  They'll be fine.

xx
Yellow patches on tomato leaves

Started by micou on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 18:15
by micou
xx
Yellow patches / 'crispy' leaves on Cucumber plants

Started by SweetPea on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2006, 11:08
by Heather_S
xx
yellow tomato plants

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 13:25
by jambop
xx
Yellow leaves on tomato plants

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 22:40
by casper

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 28 queries.