Weed identification - your help needed

• 41 Replies

cozzcov

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2008, 22:42 »
Yes I can light a fire with a flint and steel  :oops:  but i only know wild foods of the British Isles not as international as him.

I like wild food because its seasonal.  And compared to food that now appears in greengrocers and supermarkets it hasn't flewn half way around the world either.

Hawthorn leaves and buds are edible at the moment.  I'll try and remember to post a Hawthorn berry jelly recipe in the autumn.

woodburner

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2008, 22:43 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
We have our very own Ray Mears !

You could post some on the cooking forum cozz. Might interest a few members.

How do you tap the sycamore ? We have a fairly large one by the front gate. Does it harm the tree at all, eg infection, etc

Rob

Try here I expect it's the same method for sycamores.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

cozzcov

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2008, 22:54 »
Cheers, woodburner, good link  8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 11:40 »
Fascinatign stuff. Though I'll pass on the pleases and thank yous but certainly a lot of respect for trees. Anything that can live longer than us should be given every chance to do so.
I wouldn't want to kill it off by my clumsiness.

Rob

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 12:44 »
Dandelion plants are sold in the vegetable section of a very swanky shop on Marylebone High Street.  £2 per plant.  The leaves often appear in mixed bags of washed salad.

Bittercress is good too.  I was weeding some out on Saturday and tried it.  It tasted so good I wanted to find out if it was recommended to eat.

Haven't tried willowherb, it'd better look out...

Chickweed is excellent.  Ground elder is good in salads.

Herb robert - Geranium robertianum.  Plantain.

Nettles take 20 minutes of boiling and are a good green.

You may note I've just bought a new house and the only greens from the garden are weeds...  Anybody know if Japanese Knotweed is edible?

Oh yes, and throw in some pansy flowers and dandelion flowers as well.  Yum.

It looks like I'm an amateur at this:  http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=156249&sid=67c4baf2e7aab1eecea73d5f73d671a3  Edited to add that this comes from a forum for TORTOISES...

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 19:48 »
Hairy Bittercress is the bane of my life at the moment at work because it is absolutely everywhere and as soon as you touch those with seeds, your spreading your problem further.  I've done a massive amount of weeding of this weed and I know it will all be for nothing because of the amount of seeds scattered.

If you see it remove it properly if there are seeds and flowers, otherwise hoe off all seedlings because if you don't you will live to regret it.
Teen

Ruby Red

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 08:01 »
I once made silver birch wine. You have to tap it when the sap stats rising so its too late now, the tree needs it more than us. Please if you do it, dont forget and leave it or the tree could bleed too much and cause damage. And when you finish make sure you plug it afterwards. Sorry to sound all whittley but I worry about damaging wildlife and things.  :oops:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

dereklane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 08:43 »
Up here (buxton) there isn't as much to gather as in other places - a lack of trees and the wrong temperature means wild picking (at least, with my more limited knowledge) is not so 'fruitful'.

But I still take dandelion, nettle, raspberries and blackberries, and there are also a few rowans, yews (only the berries!!!) and such about. The raspberries were a hit with the kids - each time we went out last year we only managed to bring home enough for a couple of puddings, despite collecting for well over an hour each time (one for the pot, 3 for the mouth).

Down south though, (we used to live in crawley) there is an abundance - various mushrooms, sweet chestnuts and loads of different plants I was only just starting to discover when we came up this way.

One thing I wished I'd tried (I think I saw it on a ray mears programme) was the acorns. Apparently, if you leach them, or bury them deeply over winter, the tannin leaches out and they're almost as nice as chestnuts. One thing I can vouch is *not* very tasty - horse chestnuts. I tried them, because, I reasoned, they feed them to animals (despite my wife's strong advice against it). It was without a doubt the most bitter thing I have ever eaten. It almost tans the skin on your tongue as it touches. Well, we learn by experimentation as much as anything, I suppose :)

But it really is amazing what you can gather wild, with a little knowledge. The trouble is, our tastes have changed to more bland flavours (seemingly fairly recent - maybe one or two hundred years because the knowledge of wild food is still strong enough to have survived, at least in some parts of Britain and around the world). A lot of wild food plants are quite strong, whereas our veg contenders are very mild.

It is, I think, a matter of training your palate a little. Remember how much you liked your greens as a child? And yet, by the time you're all grown up, you love them...

Anyway, as someone else suggested, its not for everyone. My wife is still not very keen on nettle soup, despite the fact its so good for you.

cheers,

Derek

matron

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 08:48 »
Derek,
There used to be an abundance of blackberries down the Via Gelia road (off the Buxton to Ashbourne road) which we used to pick as children. I am only just out of Buxton and we are lucky to have blackberries growing in the hedges.  :lol:

dereklane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 09:22 »
cheers for that - up my end (town centre, but my allotment is off the a6) there's lots of raspberries but not too many blackberries (or at least, there wasn't last year).

I will take a look down that way this summer :)

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 13:19 »
Honey fungus makes good eating too, apparently.  The only good thing for it...

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 14:09 »
And I discover that Japanese Knotweed makes good eating too.  When 6" tall, cook and eat like rhubarb (as it tastes just like it).

xx
Weed Identification

Started by fatgit on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 22:17
by noshed
clip
Weed identification

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2022, 14:31
by fatbelly
xx
Identification Required (non weed)

Started by LosingThePlot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 12:48
by Goosegirl
xx
advice needed on weed killer

Started by NUMBER27 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 22:24
by Ice

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 37 queries.