which plant is which?

• 11 Replies

peanut97

which plant is which?
« on: April 20, 2007, 18:00 »
My darling son has muddled up all my plant labels, i am not so worried about the tomato varieties but I am concerned about the courgette and pumpkin as I have limited space and wanted to plant only 2 of each.    I have 20 plants which all look the same, they have only just germinated, will they look different or should I start again with left over seeds.

What do you folks do with all the plants you end up with? I have about 60 tomato plants, was expecting a lower germination rate, also have about 60 chillis, was only thinking a few would survive but they have all been potted on and are going strong. I can't believe I am capable of getting things growing!

crowndale

which plant is which?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 18:05 »
School fairs are always good or there's always freecycle
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
which plant is which?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 20:57 »
I Compost my spares if my son don't nab em.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
which plant is which?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 20:59 »
or put them out the front of the house and sell em for 25p each!

peanut97

which plant is which?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 21:03 »
It seems a bit heartless to throw them on the compost heap after they have grown for you! I am feeling sorry for my thinning outs that get composted as it is, maybe I am a bit soft!

Does anyone know if my pumpkins and courgettes will look different?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
which plant is which?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 21:07 »
Quote from: "peanut97"

Does anyone know if my pumpkins and courgettes will look different?

They might do as they get their 2nd set of leaves but it may only be a small difference as they are both related. Play safe and replant if your really stuck.

Annie

which plant is which?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 21:11 »
I find no shortage of people who will take tom plants off your hands from work,school ,swimming group,once you start asking it`s surprising.Same when you grow too many courgettes for the first month.
I don`t think it is easy to tell what you`ve got courgette/squash early on,if you take a guess and put a few others in pots as insurance the the courgettes will be the ones throwing more stalks from the base.In future try a marker pen on the pot-almost child proof!
I find it hard to throw out excess plants to,if you are the same it`s amazing where you will find space.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
which plant is which?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 21:34 »
I don't even like thinning seedlings, that's why I try to plant them far enough apart.  Seems sacrilege to me.  When I planted too many of most thing last year, we had a new member join from North Lincolnshire who had just got her first lottie.  I said if she was down this way at all, she was welcome to what leftovers I had, so she and her DIL came down and went home with 30 odd tomatoes, loads of runner bean plants, chillies, mint I think, lavender and a few other things.  So they didn't get wasted!!!! lol

wellingtons

If you have a good sense of smell ...
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 10:08 »
... you can distinguish quite easily between courgettes and pumpkins.  The pumpkins smell slightly stale and unpleasant ... the courgettes less so ...  :D

The courgettes also have more of a defined point to the leaf, whereas the pumpkins are rounder.

Also the courgettes remain a central stemmed plant whereas the pumpkins start to throw out trailing stems at a very early age.  So pot em on and wait, you will recognise them I promise.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
which plant is which?
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 13:49 »
If you are using 'new' seed then expect 90-100% germination.
Always grow a few spare in case of accidents.
I have 100% germination on my courgettes and squash, same for toms and with sweetcorn just 1 out of 40 seeds failed to germinate!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
which plant is which?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 14:58 »
we seem to keep getting these 'whats this plant' type question,

perhaps we could make use of the gallery to develop a collection of 'life stages' photos of various plants, that could be used as a guide? i myself am not sure if my parsnips are growing, but i can recognise my beetroot.

If a number of use agreed a plant type each, and photographed it growing as specific stages, such as first showing, first true leaf pair, second true leaf pair, flowering, fruiting, (and even bolting!) we could develop a very usable guide.

We could do the same for common weed seedlings, that would help diffrentiation. And one for bugs and maybe desieses?

anyone elses thoughts?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

acetaria

Re: which plant is which?
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 15:05 »
At our allotments there is a shelf someone left by the gate - all excess produce or seedlings are deposited there for the other holders to use. Failing that put them in a cheap 3" pot and put them on the front garden wall with the word 'free' written somewhere (or a box with 50p each written on it ;-). Or let them grow till they are taking up too much room/time then compost them.

What do you folks do with all the plants you end up with? I have about 60 tomato plants, was expecting a lower germination rate, also have about 60 chillis, was only thinking a few would survive but they have all been potted on and are going strong. I can't believe I am capable of getting things growing!

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
Another plant(2) ID please :)

Started by MattHB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 18:52
by sunshineband
xx
What to plant now...

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 17:53
by Tigerhair

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 28 queries.