Mindless ...

• 20 Replies

elibump

Re: Mindless ...
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 19:23 »
And why oh why do neighbours plant a tree capable of reaching 40ft right on the fence line.

I think Lardman's tree might have been there before there was a house or fence, but I could be wrong.

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 16:31 »
And why oh why do neighbours plant a tree capable of reaching 40ft right on the fence line.

I think Lardman's tree might have been there before there was a house or fence, but I could be wrong.

You're right Eli - the tree pre-dates both the house when its trunk is and certainly those to the left (they were built far too close anyway) .   In the 70's and all the area to the left of the picture was littered with large deciduous trees - now its all houses  :( where anything that dares poke its head above a 6ft fence is hacked off.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 18:13 »

The one thing that was special about our boring little Wiltshire town WAS (note past tense)  we had a massive ghinko tree.   Early on a Sunday morning, "Those in Authority" decided it was to go.  There are numerous shoots around the stump. Anyone any Idea how to take cuttings?    Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 00:52 »

The one thing that was special about our boring little Wiltshire town WAS (note past tense)  we had a massive ghinko tree.   Early on a Sunday morning, "Those in Authority" decided it was to go.  There are numerous shoots around the stump. Anyone any Idea how to take cuttings?    Cheers,   Tony.

I am very surprised it had to go. I knew they were very special and thought they were protected. Maybe not?

Can't find anything that says it is so I guess it must be my mistake.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 00:55 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Swing Swang

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 22:55 »
From http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/propagation.htm

"The Ginkgo can also be propagated by cuttings (best way to be sure of the sex). Take young or half-ripe wood about 15 cm long during May-July. Put these in a frame  and keep moist. They usually start growing best in their second year. You may also take cuttings of mature wood of the current year's growth. Shoots about 15-30 cm long are taken in December and placed in a frame. They should root in the spring.
More information about treating the cuttings via the propagation-links on my Links-page."

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 01:17 »
We planted one at school along our main drive and the children took great pride in it until one of the parents leant on it and snapped it!  >:( :(

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 29 queries.