• Experienced Member
Re: More garden pics
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 00:10 »
very nice, I like your raised beds
I came I saw I grew my own veg

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:12 »
Thanks their first year.  Went a bit mad and overfilled them, I'll thin them out next year.  Didn't know the babys breath (Gypsophila) would grow so madly.  the lobelia went a bit crazy as well.  Also discovered how easy it was to make busy lizzie plants from cuttings, so they all went in. By then I was on a roll so took geranium cuttings as well................you get the picture.  LOL

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:14 »
How and when did you make bizzy lizzy cuttings?

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:00 »
Lovely! and your purple pots are smashing - did you paint them yourself? I love overstuffed beds and pots I always think it's better to be generous than skimpy (same rule applies to cakes and chocolate!) Jude.

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 15:22 »
Lovely! and your purple pots are smashing - did you paint them yourself? I love overstuffed beds and pots I always think it's better to be generous than skimpy (same rule applies to cakes and chocolate!) Jude.

LOL
The pots, aren't they nice.  A plant seller was giving them away, i.e. help yourself , at a garden show.  I didn't want to be greedy so didn't take the lot.  But kicking myself now cos I have Three Three and two infront of the troughs ......just one more would have completed the picture...anal I know but thats just me LOL.

I have seen these in gardening centres not for sale though think they sometimes sell lavender in them.

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 15:27 »

Started taking cuttings about 6 weeks ago.  Last lot I did was three weeks ago.  I just cut off below a leaf at an angle, strip bottom leaves if any left on cutting, take of any buds so energy goes into roots and stick in a modular tray, pot or whatever only needs about 3" of compost I s'pose.  I did try rooting powder withone lot but it never works properly for me I always get better results without.

I cut them off cos the busys were getting tall and straggly, they don't seem to mind a haircut.  If you google you will find the right way to do it.  I just go for it and I seem to be lucky.

Spana

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 18:28 »
Its all so pretty and very much to my taste.  Agree with Jude, I like that billowing look :)

I also very much like Gypsophila.  I think a white flower shows off the rest and its the white flowers that make a garden look wonderful at night :)

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 22:32 »
Gypsophila is easy to grow from seed as well.

mobilekat

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 16:51 »
Garden looks great!

Busy Lizzies love to have cuttings taken, I used to just chop bit off and stick in water until roots formed!- easy gardening!!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

garddwr

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 14:37 »

Started taking cuttings about 6 weeks ago.  Last lot I did was three weeks ago.  I just cut off below a leaf at an angle, strip bottom leaves if any left on cutting, take of any buds so energy goes into roots and stick in a modular tray, pot or whatever only needs about 3" of compost I s'pose.  I did try rooting powder withone lot but it never works properly for me I always get better results without.

I cut them off cos the busys were getting tall and straggly, they don't seem to mind a haircut.  If you google you will find the right way to do it.  I just go for it and I seem to be lucky.

Interesting method here I'm giving it a try. Do you use the plants next year then and overwinter them ?

sclarke624

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 22:35 »
I suppose you could overwinter them indoors, but no I use them in the garden the same year, when I did the cuttings it was still mid June so still good for this year.

On the other hand my mum and all my aunties used to have a busy lizzie all year round.  It was tallish, mums would grow to about 18 inches.  They were always a mid pink and I think it was compulsory to have a green plastic pot trellis with it and a spider plant to keep lizzie company LOL.  I remember you would hear a sort of pop or click and it would flick its flower off, which was quite amusing to me as a youngster.  Now I have no idea if they bought them somewhere or if it was a common houseplant then and no different to our busy lizzies in the garden or what.  Look the same just allowed to grow.

xx
Some more garden pics

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 20:28
by Spana
xx
garden and pond pics

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 08:00
by shaun
xx
Garden in June - Updated pics.....

Started by Bombers on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 14:14
by Milly
xx
from this......(lots of pics)

Started by agapanthus on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 19:01
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 29 queries.