Bat Plant

• 14 Replies

mashauk

Bat Plant
« on: January 01, 2008, 15:52 »
Has anyone managed to grow a bat plant?  I think they're gorgeous and got some seeds and will start them off in my electric propogator when it arrives, but then it says to put them in a conservatory, which I don't have, in fact I have no window ledges to speak of either, so not really sure why I keep getting houseplants!  Any advice gratefully received :lol:

Cynara

• Experienced Member
Bat Plant
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 21:30 »
There's some info here
http://www.backyardgardener.com/seeds/product/7338/1.html
Looks like they have to be tucked up indoors to overwinter 'cos it would cost too much to heat a greenhouse to 15C :?

mashauk

Bat Plant
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 21:56 »
Thanks for that.  I'll start it off when I get my new electric propogator and see how I go!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bat Plant
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 21:58 »
That's a scary plant.  Don't turn your back on it  :shock:

mashauk

Bat Plant
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 22:18 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

I think they're gorgeous, but then I've always liked weird stuff!  Got the propogator today, at least one thing looks like it will do what it says on the tin :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bat Plant
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 22:19 »
Quote from: "mashauk"

I think they're gorgeous, but then I've always liked weird stuff!  Got the propogator today, at least one thing looks like it will do what it says on the tin :lol:

You'll be growing a triffid next  :wink:

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
Bat Plant
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 22:33 »
I've ben fancying one of these for a few years but I wondered if they may be a bit tricky - how long is it before they flower ? You will have to keep us updated on its progress :lol:

mashauk

Bat Plant
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 22:58 »
Quote from: "Welsh Girls Allotment"
I've ben fancying one of these for a few years but I wondered if they may be a bit tricky - how long is it before they flower ? You will have to keep us updated on its progress :lol:

Knowing my luck I won't even get them to germinate, but I got the seeds free so I have to try.  I never got my Bird of Paradise to germinate, but didn't have my propogator then, and I do like a challenge.  I'll probably kill it as I don't have a conservatory or anywhere really to keep it if it does survive though.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bat Plant
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 23:02 »
 I never got my Bird of Paradise to germinate.

I bought 3 seeds in Medera 3 years ago and two of them germinated.  They ais too big to bring into the hose overwinter now so it will have to risk it in an unheated greenhouse covered with a couple of layers of fleece. Fingers crossed !

mashauk

Bat Plant
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 23:11 »

I bought 3 seeds in Medera 3 years ago and two of them germinated.  They ais too big to bring into the hose overwinter now so it will have to risk it in an unheated greenhouse covered with a couple of layers of fleece. Fingers crossed !

Bird of Paradise?  I hope they grow, they're beautiful, I bought mine in Gran Canaria.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bat Plant
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 23:21 »

I bought 3 seeds in Madeira 3 years ago and two of them germinated.  They ais too big to bring into the hose overwinter now so it will have to risk it in an unheated greenhouse covered with a couple of layers of fleece. Fingers crossed !

Bird of Paradise?  I hope they grow, they're beautiful, I bought mine in Gran Canaria.

Yes, Bird of Paradise - Strelitzia. Mine haven't flowered yet so I hope they get through the winter  :!:

mashauk

Bat Plant
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 23:25 »
Please post a piccy if they do, I love them.  I went to the Chelsea Flower Show a couple of years ago, someone bought me a ticket as a birthday present, and the tropical tent (or whatever it is called) was amazing, tons of plants and flowers that I'd never seen before, I think that's when I first saw a bat plant.

flowergirl

Bat Plant
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 11:15 »
my Bird of Paradise seeds did nothing  i saw a small plant in Wilkos so brought 2 but they've not done much,Mashauk ive ordered some Egret Orchid "seeds"  i think your bat plant is an orchid too is that right?

mashauk

Bat Plant
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 13:11 »
Quote from: "flowergirl"
my Bird of Paradise seeds did nothing  i saw a small plant in Wilkos so brought 2 but they've not done much,Mashauk ive ordered some Egret Orchid "seeds"  i think your bat plant is an orchid too is that right?

I'm not sure if it's an Orchid.  I'm really confused today (as usual) we bought several years ago in Jersey what we were told was a Jersey Lily bulb.  It has never flowered though so I've been looking it up and it looks nothing like what we thought we were buying!  It looks more like an Agapanthus, but I suppose could be anything.  We've decided to put it in the polytunnel when it's erected, give it a feed and see what happens.  I've had to divide it twice into bigger pots as the roots were everywhere but still nothing :(

gobs

Bat Plant
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 17:03 »
I don't think the bat plant is an orchid, either.

Your Jersey/Guernsey Lily is Nerine, I think. From far it looks a bit like Agap, from a close-up an individual flower will look a lily.

My bulbs were decent potato size when I got them, maybe yours a bit young to flower?

I'd also suggest to plant them individually, it might help.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
i have a plant

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 21:47
by chrissie B
clip
Plant ID No2

Started by fuchsia on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 12:32
by fuchsia
clip
Plant for ID

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2022, 11:41
by mrs bouquet
clip
Plant ID please

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 05:52
by LILLILEAF

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 28 queries.