Egret Orchid

• 4 Replies

flowergirl

Egret Orchid
« on: December 28, 2007, 18:17 »
just seen these in the Thompson & Mogan catalouge ive Googled Habenaria radiata but could only find info for America has anyone grown these? can they be grow as house plants? any advice would be great thanks

gobs

Egret Orchid
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:20 »
I'm not growing orchids but it's a bit specialized I understand. And with thousands of species in the family, quite varied growing conditions. This one is a bog orchid I think and as such I figure would need acidic soil.

As a wild bog plant would be hardy to extreme cold, so somewhere cool, I guess, but I'm by no means in the know, you gotta try and google more till someone with the know how comes along.

If nothing else, there must be some specialized blog or nursery out there, that grows it.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Egret Orchid
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 21:38 »
I have some experience with epiphytic orchids, but this one is nominally a terrestrial. However, that does not necessarily mean that it needs to be grown in soil. It is a plant of wet, humid conditions and might need a mossy or otherwise porous substrate. Do T&M offer it as seed? If so, it would be unusual among orchids if there were any chance whatever of you getting it to germinate but maybe T&M give some info. Normally they need either a symbiotic fungus or a chemical cocktail.
I am pretty sure it would have to be grown outside in pots if it grew at all.

If you have not grown orchids but want to try them I would advise that you buy the indoor Phalaenopsis hybrids which are commonly available nowadays. They can flower for long periods and last at least a few years

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Egret Orchid
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 23:14 »

flowergirl

Egret Orchid
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 00:10 »
ohh thanks for the help, i was like "um pretty i want one" then "erm what do i do with it!!" :lol:  :lol:

xx
orchid

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 20:59
by chrissie B
xx
Orchid

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 19:12
by black diamond
clip
Look at my orchid!

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2021, 19:50
by Subversive_plot
xx
HELP with orchid

Started by muntjac on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 19:09
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 31 queries.