New chicken hell!

• 4 Replies

Gerty333

New chicken hell!
« on: April 15, 2013, 19:56 »
Help ladies- advice needed!!

On Thursday I got two new chicken to add to my 4 bird flock but it hasn't gone well- I let them get to know each other first and then Friday my new hen house was built so I put them all in together.... Today I had to remove one of the new girls because of the amount of blood on her head. They won't let the other girl roost with them at all either, I've been waiting till their asleep and sneaking her in, will this stop? They weren't this bad when I introduced the last three (one now passed), its horrible and I don't know what to do!!

Chrysalis

Re: New chicken hell!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 20:54 »
I am sorry to hear about your hen capers. :(

Can you keep them separate for a few days? The injured hen may need some treatment - have you got purple spray? It's really good and the colour and taste usually put the offenders off.  ;)

One of ours is a bit of a bully, so she's in solitary for a few days. Maybe you could separate the bully?

I'm sure they'll settle down soon.  Try not to worry.
Others will help too, I'm sure.  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 22:56 »
A small cut on a chickens comb does result in what looks like lots of blood.  Any blood on the feathers/head can be cleaned off with a cotton wool ball dipped in cooled boiled water.  If you have wound powder that will help, if not you can improvise and apply cornflour.  This should stop any bleeding, disguise the cut and aid healing.  If applying purple spray to the head be careful not to get any in your hens eyes.  Use a cotton bud to apply or cotton wool ball.  It will stain your hands so best to wear rubber gloves. 

It is best not to put new hens directly in with existing birds as they could be carrying disease or lice/mites.  Best to keep the new ones quarantined but within view of your existing hens for 3 weeks.  That way they get used to the sight and sound of each other and gives you time to check the new ones for any ill health. 

Best to introduce your new hens to the coop after dark when they are all sleepy.  Put them directly on to the perch and your other hens should quickly adjust to the new ones.  You might still get fighting during the day but it is part of them establishing the pecking order.  You should only need to step in if there is visible blood which can cause a pecking frienzy.

If there is one obvious bully you can then separate the bully from the rest.  Make sure she is still within sight of the others.  A few days usually is enough for the bully to end up lower in the pecking order to be reintroduced.

It usually looks worse than it is so try not to worry.

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:46 »
following on from ANHBUC's advice also have several feeders and drinkers when you do add them all together. This will allow the new girls get to them. also have several hiding places for them so they can run and hide - use large branches (with greenery still on them) placed so they can hide behind.  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:58 »
If you reintroduce the new hen at night, directly into the hen house, 1 tip I had and have used is to 'mist' the hens in the henhouse with a solution of vinegar & water & do the same with the hen you are introducing. Only a very small amount is necessary and the idea is they all smell the same (bit like a bag of chips really, but if it helps!).

Also if introducing at night, try and be around early the next day just in case there are further problems
Helen

clip
What the hell is this ???

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 19:36
by cbv8
xx
Red mite hell!

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 10:15
by alancane
xx
More Red mite hell!

Started by jackiem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 08:36
by Ma Lowe
xx
Worming week - hell!

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 21:28
by SimonS

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 36 queries.