What to do with cockerels?

• 21 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: What to do with cockerels?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 13:04 »
As soon as they are old enough to mate.  One of my young cockerels was only 11 weeks old when he started to mate.  With the Spring there will be 'love in the air' so they are more likely to start fighting over the girls.  You may be lucky and they might get on.  Just be aware and keep an eye out for any major trouble.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 13:16 »
Ah ok. They are 10 months. Beautiful lemon sabelpoots. Seen plenty of mating but have not noticed any stand offs or bother. I'll watch more closely to see who is boss. I thought they seemed to be sharing amicably.

ANHBUC

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 13:31 »
They must be happy with their lot then.   :)

Sassy

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 08:58 »
As mentioned you are very likely to see a change in behaviour now that spring is coming. It is a risk especailly with only 5 hens. :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 12:53 »
I had 2 cockerals that grew up together and were getting on well then one day something happened (im guessing to do with a hen) which flipped them out and the submissive quiet one was on a rampage to destroy the other one. I had to seperate them then cull. I kept the one with battle scars and got rid of the bully and would adopt this method in future. Its not a pretty sight seeing blood in the water, all over the feeders and generally dripped all over the run/coop. This happened when they were around 6 months old.

I have divided the main run up into 2 sections since and had 2 cockerals, one in each run. They would fight through the fence so I have put netting up to deter them but then they would crow so much to assert dominance over one another. We got rid of one of the cockerals and replaced him with a silkie cockerel who being amoung large fowl so far has been scared to crow. The other cockerel thinks its a girl at the moment so things are nice and quiet for the time being.

Thanks to some advice on here I used corn flour to clot the wounds and it worked well.

ANHBUC

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 14:59 »
Thanks to some advice on here I used corn flour to clot the wounds and it worked well.

That was joyfulls tip, I have used it on both hens and quail.  It is part of my every growing poultry essentials cabinet. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 21:28 »
Sabelpoots do seem to be very tolerant of other mails - when I had a few males they never fought with each other :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
cockerels

Started by samuria on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2012, 19:12
by samuria
xx
cockerels

Started by wendy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 22:24
by John
xx
cockerels for the pot!

Started by Sammy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 20:54
by Sammy
xx
cockerels

Started by Denise 1963 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 08:50
by Casey76

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 37 queries.