1st proper day on the plot

• 9 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« on: April 26, 2008, 22:57 »
Just had to post to say what a lovely day I've had at the plot today.

I'm not counting any of the clearing and digging and boring stuff as working the plot (although it's a major part of task as a whole!) but as I planted today then that makes it my first proper day as an allotmenteer!

The weather was lovely, so me, hubby and the girls all got stuck in. The girls insisted on planting stones! Hubby helped me get the maincrop and half of the earlies in before he retired home to watch Man U get beat... ooops!

So all the spuds are in plus 2 rows of red onions, although they were very dry looking so I don't know if they will come to much. I also put some raspberries in although they will need to move to there proper space soon - I didn't want to leave them hanging around in pots in case they went walkies.

I'm already panicking that I will run out of space!

So I've had a great day, I feel tired but happy, and I can't wait to get back there.

Don't you just love the way doing such simple things can make you feel so alive!  :D
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

wellybabe

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:53 »
I know how you feel Snap Dragon; all this time spent working the plot and trying to make headway with a cold wet spring.  It feels great when you can actually plant something.  

Plenty more to do in the coming months; but looking forward in anticipation - hoping it will be well worth the effort! :D
Everyday is the dawn of a new error...

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 14:03 »
that feeling never goes away (thank God) days like that are memories in the making :D
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 15:04 »
I agree with you all ~ Ive had my allotment for about a month...done loads of clearing and some days  when its been cold raining and I have backache due to all the digging~~I envy my allotment neighbours that come ....spend and hour...plant something...and go home again. However I am still enjoying the hard work. Some days I get panicky .....i start to think what on earth have a taken on??? The panic really sets in when I haven't a clue what to do with seeds and plants etc. Everyone else on the site looks so profficient and wordly wise when it come to veg. I am the new kid on the block! Along with the downside there is a huge allmighty upside.
1.Ive met some really lovely encouraging people on the allotment.
2.Ive been given good advice.
3.I am spending lots of time outdoors.
4.I get excited every time another seedling pops up. [sad I know but its because I feel it works when a seedling pops up]
5. I have this feeling of *looking forward to eating my first crops*
6. I have another feeling of not believing right now that I will run out of space!!!!!

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Snap Dragon

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 15:16 »
I find I have a fear of putting all those tiny weeney little seeds in such a vast expanse of soil!

I'm planning on starting as much as I can in pots so that when it comes to planting it out I can actually see it in the ground!

Hopefully that way it has had a good start and I won't then hoe it to death the minute it gets bave enough to wave a little arm above the soil! Bless it!

I can't believe I'm getting soppy over seeds now!  :oops:

nannynet

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 15:20 »
Know exactly what you are saying as I am a new plot holder too with an uphill battle on my hands.But...there is no other feeling like coming home from work and spending an hour or so up the lottie. Birds singing nature all around you and standing on your own plot with many seasons in front of you to plan and plant etc Take your time you are not in competition with anyone else and enjoy!  :D
Gardening is all about trowel and error

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 15:26 »
I agree with you nanny net  and snap dragon and I also feel that I have to start in pots (its a confidence thing with me) the need to nuture them while they are still indoors heheheh!!! .....I have had many negative comments too whilst out on the allotment but I am learning to shrug them off!! I am there to enjoy myself ~~ if it fails it fails if it grows its a bonus* yum!
I also love the feeling of doing a mornings work and eating my french bread sandwich sat outside my shed !! Why does it taste so much better on the allotment than at home ??? :D

Jazzbyrd

Snap Dragon

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 15:33 »
One of the best things about yesterday was that I said to hubby he could take the girls home with him when he went off to watch the footie if they were bored.

I asked them if they wanted to go home and they said they wanted to stay! They spent about 4 hours just pottering and digging holes and watering plants on Nannys plot (her newly planted strawbs nearly floated away!) but they were so well behaved and I was very proud of them.  They are only 6 and 3 so it was a long day for them.

Well done girls!  :cheers:

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 15:49 »
I too had a lovely weekend, spent every minute in the garden potting, pratting and planting, loved it.
Snapdragon, how much better your 2 little girls to be out in the fresh air instead of stuck in front of a tv, loved to read about them.

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 16:03 »
Mother nature is good to her helpers  :D  we give a little (although it can seem a lot) and in return ... WOW!  :D

clip
First “proper” harvest

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2019, 11:30
by ches
xx
First proper harvest

Started by cudders on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 21:37
by Charlotte
xx
Proper Breakfast

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 19:58
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Proper Seed Spacing

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 09:17
by Kristen

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 32 queries.