Courgette mystery

• 1 Replies

Grubbypaws

Courgette mystery
« on: July 02, 2021, 11:23 »
I have 6 courgette defender F1 growing in containers. They all look healthy and are in flower. The mystery is that none of the male flowers have produced any pollen. In some there is no stamen to be seen whilst in others it is very small. Does anyone know what is going on?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Courgette mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 12:32 »
I used to have the same problem with this variety, which is why I no longer grow it.

I agree that they don't seem to produce an abundance of pollen, and I suppose it's just about possible that some type of pollen beetle or other insect is helping themselves to the pollen before the bees visit.

All you can really do in practice is to try to find some male flowers which have only just opened and use them to hand pollinate the female flowers.

(No such problems with Astia F1 the last few years, with the added bonus that Wilco's sell them at a competitive price.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Courgette mystery explained...

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 21:28
by Trillium
xx
Courgette mystery - why are mine round??

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 05:53
by Paul Plots
xx
A bit of a mystery!

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 18:40
by elibump
xx
Mystery Veg...I think!

Started by Incy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 11:07
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 39 queries.