Hatching Quandry

• 3 Replies

curries

• Experienced Member
Hatching Quandry
« on: October 04, 2011, 22:28 »
Hello everyone, i just wondered if anyone else has the same quandry as i do and a problem shared and all that  :)

I hatched two lots of chicks this year with the intention of getting the local farmer to cull any boys for me and sell the girls......however a few months later i have grown attached to all of them :(  I am obviously not as tough as i was pretending!  I have 3 girls that are 18wks and 2 x 14 wks that I still don't know whether they are boys or girls  :unsure:

I advertised the girls for sale because I want to hatch again next year and if i don't get rid of some i will end up with too many, but tonight someone has phoned to buy them and i am finding it really difficult to let them go  :(  The trouble is, my broodies are so persistent, what do i do next year, if I can't let them hatch any eggs they will be really upset  :ohmy:  At this rate I could end up with A LOT of chickens!!
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: Hatching Quandry
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:03 »
I know how you feel, I got very carried away this summer hatching eggs and got very attached to them all.
The way I like to think of it is that the people who buy the chickens will probably grow just as attached to them as you have. If people pay for something they usually take care of them or they would be throwing their money away. It would be different if you were giving them away. :wub:
You usually get a fair idea how much experience people have hen keeping, if they are novices give them the option to ring you for advice.
As for the boys, it is heart breaking, I got alot more boys than girls.  I have been lucky enough to find a very nice man who takes my cockerels and pairs them with birds he buys cheaply from mart and sells them on as unrelated pairs - at least that is what he tells me lol  :D
Go to your local mart, you may be able to find somebody to do the same for you. If you start chatting to sellers and buyers they may know someone.
It would be a shame not to hatch anymore for you and your girls :wub:

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 19:58 »
Thanks for your reply rileyfin.  The lady who wants to buy the chickens already has lots of chickens and she has sent me a photo of them all looking very happy so I can't really hope for much better, I just need to toughen up >:(

I haven't tried advertising the boys yet as I'm still not certain what sex they are, though i picked them up last night to have a good look at them and one of them gave me a pretty fiesty peck so I'm marking his card as a boy  :D

It's been great hatching them and I can't wait to do it again, it's just a shame we can't keep them all  :)

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 20:29 »
I havnt ever hatched my own chicks but its something I would worry about is what to do with the male chicks.  I am a terrible softy. 
I think once you sell some it will get easier when the next lot come along.  Think of the happiness you are giving other people.  You can always give them your phone number so they can keep in touch with you if they have any problems as rileyfin said.

xx
?? 'virgin' broody pullet quandry??

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 17:00
by mdueal
xx
When is hatching day?

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 15:04
by poppies
xx
hatching egg

Started by sange180 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 17:07
by sange180
xx
Hatching Day

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 09:27
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 35 queries.