• 19 Replies

dakota

« on: May 20, 2007, 18:50 »

Hi, I've been reading this forum for a short time,and have found it,very interesting,educating,and amusing,what more could anyone ask.Oh'yes ,my names Edward,and I live in Nottingham,where I was born.I have never kept Poultry,but you poultry lovers have converted me,I find reading these pages have made me realise what a wonderful hobby I'm missing.When I told my wife and 3 sons what I intended doing,theysaid I was in my second childhood.By the way,I'm 68 and a bit years old,I'd better tell you my wifes quite a few years younger,,thats that out of the way.I've got a hen house,I got it off ebay,Ian Hadley from shropshire made it and he and his wife delivered it and erected it for me,what a smashing couple they are. The house and run will take 6 hens,the nesting and perch area are above ground,with a 6x3 run, I've set the house on concrete slabs.I set it on slabs to try to avoid rodents digging their way in,I intend putting wood shavings,in the run,perch,and nesting area,is this ok. I've fenced an area of the garden about 30'x12',being part soil,and grass,I've tried to make it as Fox proof as possible,but reading some of the previous posts I,ll have to be very vigilant. Oh' yes, I collect the Hens this Tuesday,my wife tells everyone she speaks to that I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas,and thats she's can't remember when I was so excited over something,my 9yr old grandson says he's all the way with me on this.well I must warn you people out there that from next Tuesday on you can expect getting  a lot of messages from me,I've purchased a book,but I'm a complete novice,and now I'm beginning to get cold feet wondering if I've done the right thing. I'll keep you informed.Best Wishes to you all

WG.

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 18:53 »
Hi dakota and welcome.  Lots of chook advice from the folks on here (but not from me I'm afraid).   :D

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 19:55 »
Hi and welcome.  Don't worry  about getting cold feet, you have done the right thing, you'll really enjoy the hens. They're friendly, intersting, a lot less trouble than many other pets and give you eggs and fertilizer and there are lots of helpful experts on this forum to help. I've had hens for about two months now and don't regret it. Enjoy yourself  :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Fannyann

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 21:41 »
:) Hello and welcome!
I've only had my hens for 2 weeks after a 30 year wait. I was apprehensive just before getting them and still have moments of worry but everyone on here has been supportive and full of helpful advice.
Had our first egg this morning which is a great feeling that we're doing OK.
Good luck :!:

Midwife

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:08 »
Hello,
I've had chickens for nearly a year and  six chicks have just hatched under some very competent broodie hens. Fantastic!  I too have found this forum wonderful for advice and help. You won't regret your new hobby, it keeps me amused for hours!  :D
Proud to be a 100% qualified, caring, encouraging, one more push, reassuring Midwife!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:55 »
How great that you've got some hens because of reading our forum.
 A BIG WELCOME to you

Please make sure you put a really deep layer of soft material over the slabs, I prefer bark for my chooks but many use wood shavings.  Make sure it is at least 5 inches deep as your girls will get sore feet if the walk on a very hard surface too much.

Do keep us updated with their progress, any problems just give us a shout and we'll scratch our heads together ( I get splinters from mine though )  :roll:

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 20:14 »
Hi Dakota, You should have had your hens by now.  How are you getting on?

dakota

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 20:41 »
Well,I've had the hens just over 48hrs,and all seems O.K.so far.Last night they all went up the ladder unaided into the house, after much anxiety e.g.one step up, then two down,but they eventually made it onto  the perch.I found it very entertaining watching them. I want to put some lousing powder on them,but I think its early days yet to handle them, as I try to get to pick one up it panics and sets the others flapping about,so I think I'd better bide my time for a few days untill they get used to me,one of them will let me give her a few strokes,but thats about it,typical of a female playing hard to get ?.I thought I was passed the coaxing stage,but as my wife says ,lifes full of surprises.But in the short time I've had these chooks life has seemed more relaxing,this afternoon I put a chair in the outside run and just sat there in the sun for about 4 hours watching them scratching about in the coop,yes lifes just great. well will report again at a later date. Best Wishes   Edward

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 20:49 »
Sounds wonderful Edward  :D

yorkshirerose

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 11:49 »
Thats great Edward - Im so envious as I have to wait til my back garden is sorted then we can decide where the chickens shall go.
Id put them in the front garden but the Estate won't allow us. :(
So the back garden it has to be.
Keep us informed on how you get on though - I think its so exciting :D
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 21:10 »
Hi Edward and welcome to the forum. It's great that you got yourself some hens, they are such a joy to have. I've only kept them for a year now and they still surprise me with their ways. Good luck to you and enjoy both the hens and the eggs to come.... :)

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 08:41 »
Hi Dakota!

It's so wonderful to read about your chicken experience! I was just wondering if you have had any eggs yet? I've had mine about 4 weeks and they are just so interesting to watch... shame we've had such lousy weather here in "sunny" nottingham!!  :lol:

dakota

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 15:14 »
Quote from: "Sandy"
Hi Dakota!

It's so wonderful to read about your chicken experience! I was just wondering if you have had any eggs yet? I've had mine about 4 weeks and they are just so interesting to watch... shame we've had such lousy weather here in "sunny" nottingham!!  :lol:

Hi ,  Sandy  Sorry, I've just picked up your posting,no eggs yet,but when I collected the chucks I was told it would be about 3 weeks before I could expect to receive any.  Yes the weathers still 'peeing'it down lets hope there's  sunshine ahead,and soon,so I can let them free range.I've been busy putting wire around the shrubs in the garden. Keep me informed on how your chucks are doing,seeing as you're a novice as well.Is'nt it great,that when you've got a problem theres plenty of experience out there keeping their eye on us.   Best wishes Edward

nicky

new chicken owner
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 18:43 »
I'm new too, just picked up my first hens yesterday 2 welsummers.
They are called Maggie Mae and Poppy and they are lovely but they do a runner every time we go near them. Never mind i'm sure they will like us eventually.

psipower

Re: new chicken owner
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 21:13 »
Quote from: "nicky"
I'm new too, just picked up my first hens yesterday 2 welsummers.
They are called Maggie Mae and Poppy and they are lovely but they do a runner every time we go near them. Never mind i'm sure they will like us eventually.

:) Yes - spend time around them and they will relax. Small handfuls of corn tossed on the ground as a late afternoon treat can help, not to mention getting down to their level. Before long they will be persuing you all over the garden :).

xx

Started by bloodhound on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 18:44
by Vember
smiley

Started by feathered friends on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 14:12
by feathered friends
xx

Started by mercury on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 13:21
by Zak the Rabbit
xx

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 14:21
by WR1

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 35 queries.