New to chickens - help!

• 11 Replies

Jane Vennik

New to chickens - help!
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:28 »
I have just started with hens and need a bit of advice!  I purchased a Broughton 902a which I am very pleased with.  Yestereday I bought 4 hens from a local supplier/farm but on revisiting the Forsham web site I wonder if I have bought the wrong hens!  I have a silver sussex, french moran, bluebird and a rhode island red (needed to be all different for the children!).  Are they too large for my hen house?

Also, how do you teach them to go up the ladder at night?  Two  went up but the others had to be helped through the pop hole!  

Thank you!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New to chickens - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:15 »
Hi Jane, Welcome to the site

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/poultry-housing/boughton902a-poultry-ark.htm

This is your hen coop.  It is advertised as suitable for 6 to 7 hens but to me the run looks far too small for that number if they ahve to spend much time in there.  It would be fine if the hens free range around the garden most of the time.  But if they have to be confined in the run for long I personally would only have 2-3 medium sized birds.  You could, of cause, consider building a run extension or swap to smaller birds, bantams are very cute  :lol:

Just keep popping them in the roost at night, they'll get the hang of it  :D

alan42

• Experienced Member
New to chickens - help!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 14:19 »
wow what a price that is dedication to spend that on a run. looks big enough for max of three large birds and more truthfully i would only put a pair in that and would move everyday to fresh ground.
alan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New to chickens - help!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 18:31 »
That's right Alan.  I can't imagine how cramped it would be with 6-7 birds medium birds in as advertised. There would certainly be some bullying and feather pulling problems unless they free ranged over a larger area.

One of your hens is a RIR Jane, they are big birds !

alan42

• Experienced Member
New to chickens - help!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 20:10 »
yes sally trade description act springs to mind newbie chicken keepers are not to know its up to the firm to be honest and i think saying 6 to 7 is blatently wrong.
alan

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New to chickens - help!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 20:55 »
I usually work on about 4sq foot per bird,in the coop so at that I make 4 at a squeeze, I do think forsham need to be more careful with their adverts 6-7 bantams possibly ? but not large fowl. But like I say I'm no expert so, if any one thinks I'm wrong please say so.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New to chickens - help!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 21:03 »
I'd only like to see two medium sized birds in the run part.  I think it's out of proportion for the roost.

Well Jane, I don't know if we have been any help to you.  My  advice would be 2 medium birds or 6 bantams.  If you want more medium birds than 2 they will need a larger run space for daytime.  

Please remember thes are just OUR opinions  :D

Jane Vennik

Thank you!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 08:01 »
Thank you all for your advice.  I should have visited this site first before embarking on getting the hens!  Hindsight is a beautiful thing!   :wink:

Well I've decided I will take 2 of the hens back on Monday.  I will be free-ranging them but there will be times (like weekends away) that they will need to be contained.  

Thank you again and will keep watch of the this site for future hints, tips and advice.

Jane

Jane Vennik

What now?!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:41 »
After deciding to reduce the number of hens we have, I rang the supplier and discover that I cannot return any of them.  I can understand the health reasons but what shall I do now?  I have 2 extra lovely hens with nowhere to go!  Any ideas?  :?

many thanks

Jane

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New to chickens - help!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 15:10 »
Well you could build a bigger run for them and keep them , or you could try to sell them in the local paper, depending on where you are, or you could freecycle them.

eggs on legs

New to chickens - help!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 15:25 »
If you can let them go free range in the garden for at least part of the day may be ok.
The kids would like them better if they had the use of your garden.
I was unsure when I first let my 3 out (hens not kids) but they were no trouble and went to bed good as gold.
Even confined they will still be better off and have more space than battery hens...wouldn't they ??
 :shock:
Cherie always says:
"A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat, but then what does she know about anything".

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New to chickens - help!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 15:54 »
The trouble is that unlike battery hens who know no different, hens who free-range about a larger area become very used to it and are like caged lions if not allowed to for a week or so when you are on holiday.  That is when pecking can start.

If you can't build a bigger run for them for when you are not able to let them free range about the garden, you could maybe have an electric fence pen for them.

This type of thing perhaps:

http://www.smallholdershop.co.uk/fencing.html

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Help - what took my chickens?

Started by jgirl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 21:21
by grinling

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 37 queries.