Note about courgettes for next year

• 4 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Note about courgettes for next year
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:04 »
Thought I'd share my experience - before going on holiday late May I had no choice but to plant out all the courgettes and squashes I had going in pots.  They were hardened off but due to the awful weather that followed whilst we were away they looked really sad or dead when we returned. Chucked the dead and nurtured the rest.  About the 12th June direct sowed some seeds as nothing to lose.  The courgettes romped away are now at about the same stage as the ones grown in pots and the squashes are just a little behind and they all look really healthy. So next year I'm not going to bother with starting them off indoors, at least the courgettes.  I think although it's tempting to get them going early there's little to be gained.  Must remember that next spring...

Nobbie

Re: Note about courgettes for next year
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:15 »
Yes, this year my early sown courgettes really sulked and didn't crop any earlier than the late ones, but last year they were about a month ahead as the weather was kinder. I'll always try a few early ones on the off chance I get an early crop, but for the main planting, later seems to be better, although I'd still sow in pots up here in Manchester as it gives a bit of flexibility over when they're planted out. I potted mine on into 6" pot at the end of May due to the weather, so they were substantial plants when they finally went out.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:19 by Nobbie »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:38 »
One of my early courgettes survived the cold spell, but hasn't been very fruitful - the later sown replacement hasn't even flowered - let alone fruited  :(
So no courgette glut here this year *sigh*

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:16 »
I started my courgettes off direct this year, a couple of months after I would normally start them in pots. They were only a couple of weeks later in starting to fruit. I've decided to do the same again next year. I don't have a greenhouse and it's very cold at nights here till mid April, so it's a lot of faff taking seedlings indoors at night and then back out in the day.

I'm starting my squash and melons direct next year too. The squash seem to have particularly benefited from not being checked by being transplanted or by cold.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:37 »
Both my Defender and di Nizza courgette plants went into hibernation over the past few very cool weeks - they didn't exactly look unhappy but didn't produce any new flowers or develop the set fruits either, which is particularly surprising for the di Nizza which are usually unstoppable.

They weren't planted outside until the second week of June, which is probably just as well because the cold start to summer and the recent courgette-unfriendly weather may have caused them to adopt the suicidal tendencies of their cucumber cousins!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
note to john

Started by nobby on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 11:20
by nobby
xx
First courgettes of the year

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 07:06
by GraciesGran
xx
but my courgettes were so good last year...

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 20:41
by mumofstig
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 30 queries.