My first ever duck egg!

• 15 Replies

cariad345

My first ever duck egg!
« on: June 10, 2008, 21:41 »
Went to let the ducks out this morning and lo and behold, there's a little white egg shining up at me! It's so tiny - even smaller than the hens' eggs. I'm so chuffed! I feel like a farmer! I even ran out onto the street with it to show my neighbour and rang my husband and my mother to tell them the good news.
Hmm.... looking back on that, I probably need to get out more. I'm just excited because I wasn't expecting them to start laying yet. We got them at three weeks old and I lost track of how old they are now, but I thought they wouln't be laying for another few weeks yet at least.
Ah... I feel better now...

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 21:45 »
We're all the same here.  Need to share our excitement with someone cos let's face it the outside world doesn't understand!  :lol:  :lol:

Congratulations!  I know how exciting it is.  I texted all my friends with pictures of our first eggs!

Enjoy!

cariad345

My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 22:32 »
Aah it's fab, isn't it? I have been quite surprised at the 'yuck' response from quite a lot of people to duck eggs. Isn't it strange? They have no qualms about eating chicken eggs. It's just what you're used to, I suppose. And I'm still bouncy excited!

Porffor

My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 22:49 »
Congratulations Cariad! :) (great name by the way). ;)

We have had our first ever eggs this week :) exciting times! :)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 22:53 »
Actually I've been surprised by the 'yuck' response full stop to eggs my chickens have laid.  People are very happy to eat them if they're all cleaned and boxed up but put a warm one on their hand (oh er missus  :wink: ) straight out of the nesting box and quite often people go 'yuck'.  What's that all about?????????  :shock:

Porffor

My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 22:56 »
That is strange.. i felt a little 'oooh.. a warm egg' when i collected one just after being laid yesterday. It doesn't feel 'dirty' though. It feels like a gift from our girls as a way of a thank you.
But i guess some people (non-chicken keepers) might feel a little weird.. maybe because they (as i was) wasn't attched to the chicken that had laid it.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 22:59 »
.... don't even get me started on to the amount of people who are squeemish about our baby chicks!!!!  :twisted:

Porffor

My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 23:02 »
how CAN someone be squeemish about chicks?  :shock: they are THE cutest thing EVER...

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 23:05 »
ALOT of people it would appear.  My babysitter who is about 30 spent the whole evening crawling up the wall - ok so I exagerate but she wasn't AT ALL happy.

Then loads of people think they look cute but don't want to get anywhere near them.  Believe me I know, I've researched this extensively since last Friday!  :lol:  :lol:

too many girls

My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 23:58 »
i always think (and i may be on my own here) that foals are cute, so are calves, lambs, chicks, piglets, puppies and kittens, when i had my son he looked like ET, i was horrified, ( the other three weren't  much better ) am i the only one who thinks that new babies lack a lot in the fluffy appealing stakes? ( no offence to those of you who have had beautiful babies, but i don't think they're as cute as a cuddly puppy............

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:17 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
i always think (and i may be on my own here) that foals are cute, so are calves, lambs, chicks, piglets, puppies and kittens, when i had my son he looked like ET, i was horrified, ( the other three weren't  much better ) am i the only one who thinks that new babies lack a lot in the fluffy appealing stakes? ( no offence to those of you who have had beautiful babies, but i don't think they're as cute as a cuddly puppy............

That is SO funny  :lol:  :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who after hours of excrutiating pain, stitches etc looked at my baby and thought 'you're not supposed to look like that'!  I think it didn't help that they looked nothing like my OH and I (we're brown haired brown eyed - our kids are blond hair, blue eyed.  How did that happen?  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: )

Anyway back to eggs & chicks, I do have to admit when the chicks first hatched they were scrawny things but they go cute in no time at all! :D

Kate and her Ducks

My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 11:21 »
Congratulations on the egg! I was so excited when I had mine first one that I texted a picture to almost everyone I knew, cost me a fortune! I know what you mean about how odd it is that people are a bit icky about freshly laid eggs, so many people are so distanced from what they eat. I worked with a lad who thought it was dangerous for me to eat salad that I had grown in my garden as it had grown in the "dirt" and I might catch something!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

peggyprice

My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55 »
I'm just jealous ... me?  want ducks?  love duck eggs?  You kidding?????? :lol:  :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

too many girls

My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:07 »
fifi, blond hair, blue eyes? it reminds me of when my fourth baby was born, i exclaimed in horror to the doctor she's got GINGER hair, he said maybe i should ask the milkman, i told him we didn't have a milkman but the postman has ginger hair, i'll ask him......................

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
My first ever duck egg!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 12:57 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
fifi, blond hair, blue eyes? it reminds me of when my fourth baby was born, i exclaimed in horror to the doctor she's got GINGER hair, he said maybe i should ask the milkman, i told him we didn't have a milkman but the postman has ginger hair, i'll ask him......................

Yes I did wonder about that but time has shown us that my daughter certainly is her mothers daughter  :wink:

And my son?  I don't know where he came from!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
First Duck egg

Started by slowef on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:41
by babe
xx
i need duck help new to this

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 21:02
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Help with my duck

Started by kerrygirls on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 16:19
by kerrygirls

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 31 queries.