Poor leeks again.

• 28 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Poor leeks again.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 11:03 »
This year is probably the worst I have had for leek, I found germination was poor, they didnt grow on as they normaly do and in the final bed they have not thickend as they normaly do.
Been eating mine for a couple of weeks now and the taste is out of this world, so I suppose I am not too unhappy, but numbers are down so I reckon by Jan we would of eaten them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 11:10 »
Mine are not looking that good either.
I wonder if we should blame the weather or if it's due to poor seed quality this year  :unsure:

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 12:42 »
My leeks have not made any size this year, but seem to be free of pest ( touch wood!).
My 84 year old gardening neighbour came over yesterday to look at them. He siad not to worry. it's just a bad year and they'll pick up again in the New Year.
Hope he's right!
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 13:04 »
Well here are my leeks not sure what size they should be by now but they taste fantastic. I also have a load near the house in an old bath which look much thesame maybe a tad smaller as they were planted later.

JamPan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 13:39 »
I've been very pleased with my leeks.  It's my first attempt at growing them.  I wish I knew what variety they were as they were third hand on the plot.  I think I'll try doing them myself from seed next year and hope for a good result.

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 15:48 »
Well here are my leeks not sure what size they should be by now but they taste fantastic. I also have a load near the house in an old bath which look much thesame maybe a tad smaller as they were planted later.

Yours are similar to mine… they look a little weather battered (if you’ll excuse me saying so?).
Some of mine have reached a larger size

I have to remember to take care when weeding not to belt the foliage about…. Gently does it works best.  ;)

Leeks quite like a fairly fertile soil, I think, so this coming year I’m heaping in the compost before spring and adding a few handfuls of chicken manure pellets when Spring comes along ready for planting into later. (Unfortunately this convenient manure is now quite popular so the price has rocketed in the last three years).

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 16:06 »
Lol Learner yes they do look a bit beaten.

Like you though we are really gonna sort the soil for the next lot we are lucky enough to have the chicken manure that we ourselves have composted for the past 18 months and will be using that well.
Fingers crossed we all get bigger leeks next year  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 00:48 »
Lol Learner yes they do look a bit beaten.

Like you though we are really gonna sort the soil for the next lot we are lucky enough to have the chicken manure that we ourselves have composted for the past 18 months and will be using that well.
Fingers crossed we all get bigger leeks next year  ::)

Sounds good.... get that chicken manure in a few weeks before the leeks are transplanted. Mind you, saying that, some of the best results I've had (in the past!) have come from taking out a shallow "V" shaped trench, filling it with water which is allowed to drain away then dibbing holes, dropping the leeks in, watering in again and giving the whole lot a sprinkling of manure pellets.

Most important bit seems to be keeping your fingers crossed!!  :lol:

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36 »
Wood Ash seems to be the favoured feed for leeks in this area at this time of year! :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 08:40 »
Wood Ash seems to be the favoured feed for leeks in this area at this time of year! :nowink:

I have a feeling I may well have dusted mine in that too - helping my sister out...disposing of a large bin full  ::)

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 09:20 »

haven't had any trouble meself here in rainy Cheshire...my first year and followed DDs cat litter tray method. Very pleased with the outcome, have 100 or so looking very well, Toledo, Tornado, Musselburgh and Carentan, all went out in June.

Have eaten 20 or so, and have now begun taking them into work for friends, 2 or 3 at a time, only so much L & P soup I can eat!!

Years come and years go....

Phill  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 09:35 »
I'm pretty happy with my first-time effort with leeks (Musselburgh.)

Used DD's sowing and planting-out technique, gave them the odd handful of pelleted chicken poo and pretty much left them to it!  :)

Hope it wasn't just beginner's luck!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bigben

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 14:53 »

Used DD's sowing and planting-out technique, gave them the odd handful of pelleted chicken poo and pretty much left them to it!  :)

I did the same but forgot the pellets - they still came up ok - but were a bit thinner than last year.

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 01:21 »

I did the same but forgot the pellets - they still came up ok - but were a bit thinner than last year.

I had to avoid the chicken pellets.... the foxes liked them too much!  ::)

xx
Wondering If I've Given My Leeks A Poor Start!??

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 19:22
by mumofstig
clip
poor, very poor

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 09:55
by sunshineband
xx
Poor Broadbeans.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 21:03
by sunshineband
clip
Poor tomatoes

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 14:30
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 31 queries.