Cheap chicken coops from ebay...

• 8 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Cheap chicken coops from ebay...
« on: January 29, 2012, 17:07 »
.... well I know they are too small for chickens to be kept in them really but do you think they would be suitable for rabbits? Does anyone on here have one? What do you think?

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Cheap chicken coops from ebay...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 17:09 »
Chinese rubbish made out of something akin to balsa wood which fall apart on the first drop of rain.  ;)
Cheese makes everything better.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 17:13 »
Ah, ok, thank you Ice. Was just thinking the size would be nice as they are slightly bigger than a hutch. Will keep looking.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 17:16 »
Shame you live in Devon, got a hutch sitting outside the kitchen door going to waste. ::)

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 17:36 »
we have a chicken run off ebay, it was cheap but has done the job. They are free range all day then go in at night but we dont shut the top nest door, so they have a little run and the nest at night, its about 3 years old and doing fine althought we have brought it into the greenhouse in the winter which may have stopped it falling apart in the wet/snow.

We also had a rabbit hutch cheap off ebay, Chinese import job, had it 6 years and was fine we used it for ferrets who were litter trained so it was never wet/dirty. The felt needed replacing a few times but was still going strong when we sold it on to a family with a rabbit.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 17:47 »
I bought one of those cheap chicken coops from ebay a few years back and kept rabbits in it for a short time.  The reason he was only in it for a short time was because it was completely inadequate for either a rabbit or a chicken.  It was too thin to give any real protection against wind and rain and without having a separate sleeping area he didn't want to use it anyway!

You are much better off going to a reputable petstore and buying a purpose made hutch  and get the biggest and best that you can afford - scrimping will only lead to additional costs later on.

I now have 2 bunnies and they both live very happily in their double storey rabbit hutch, although I let them run around in the yard all day long so they only actually sleep in it - they're outside all of the rest of the time and they're the happiest bunnies I've ever seen :happy:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 22:04 »
Years ago I had a lovely big californian Rex.  I had to keep him away from the 2 does, so I converted an old single wardrobe, which I laid on its side and put it on legs so he wasn't right on the floor.

I made a mesh door one end and the cut down wardrobe door the other end and he loved it.  Plenty of room to run around.  I covered the top, back and sides in shed felt to keep it waterproof.

But like the others have said the cheap ones off Ebay really are c**p!

evie2

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 20:41 »
About a month ago I bought one of those cheap coop and run from ebay.  The roof opens, it has a metal tray which pulls out, a sliding door, a side door, ventilation and nest box.  The run has a roof, there's space under the coop part (it was sold for chickens) there's 4 females  rabbits in it and the they love it :D at the same time I bought a 5ft square run with a small hutch in the corner, 2 females live in that and have access to the run all the time :D  I'm quite happy with both :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 12:27 »
Thank you all for your input.  :)
 I've found some covers on the net or a few of the coops and hutches, they would be great to keep the rain out and may prolong the life of it. will keep looking for now. My friend's baby bunnies are 3 weeks old so I have about 3 weeks left to find them a little house.  :) ::)
I'd love to get a rabbit eglu but it's just too many pennies at the moment.

xx
Anyone used these coops?

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 22:27
by ANHBUC
xx
show me your coops!!

Started by boosmummy on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 17:36
by boosmummy
xx
Refurbed Coops!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 23:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Plastic coops

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 20:47
by evie2

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 31 queries.