Cat and chicken story or . . .

• 5 Replies

evie2

Cat and chicken story or . . .
« on: July 04, 2011, 20:49 »
 . . . never get between a mother hen and her chicks warning.

We were sitting in the orchard this morning, Em, Josh and me, watching the chickens and rabbits, a favourite way to start the day :D

Now, our chickens have grown up with our 4 cats (who can often be found in the coop) and the neighbours cats, most people round here have more than one and on the whole our cats are ignored whilst the neighbouring cats get the message quite quickly, a couple of pecks are usually enough and don't frequent our garden now, preferring to sit on shed roofs and chase wild birds :(

This weekend Star has been very grumpy and has barged and pecked everyone, except wee Evie, for so much as looking in the direction of her chicks >:(

Anyway, as usual Merlin came to join us in the orchard, before poddling off through the veg plot to the bottom of the garden, his morning routine :)

Unfortunately, today, 4 Sablepoots, 1 Speckldy, 3 Ambers, 8 poot chicks, 2 Dutch bantam chicks and 1 very over protective Light Sussex mum had decided to have their morning dust baths slap bang in the middle of Merlins poddle route ::)

There was a chirp, then a meow followed by a cluck, a screech (Merlin) fur (Merlin) feathers (haven't a clue :wacko:) lots of flapping, Merlin with Star jumping on him, the aunty hens joining in, the babies not helping by getting under all the feet which of course produced more chirps which only fuelled Stars anger :ohmy:  Around about then Em, Merlin's her cat, decided to put a stop to 'all this nonsense' and got pecked on her feet by the poots who, in a move the SAS would be proud of, appeared from nowhere and disappeared just as quick :tongue2:

Now, Merlin is no longer in his prime and tends to take things at a slower, more laid back pace :happy: but not today, oh no.  He took advantage of the commotion round Ems feet and in a move reminiscent of a Ninja Turtle, he jumped over a chair, bounced off a tree trunk, ran along the fence, jumped behind the wood burner and disappeared in a cloud of dust :blink:

Josh was mesmerised, hope he doesn't expect that every morning ::) :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

bantam novice

Re: Cat and chicken story or . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 22:15 »
 :lol:

So you'd back a mother hen against a cat any day  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

evie2

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 22:33 »
Oh yes :D

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:34 »
Oh my goodness I have never laughed  :lol: so blooming hard I have tears running down my face good god that had to be so funny to watch. that is going to keep me going for the day i will be giggling to myself all day :D
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 13:03 »
Now THAT'S a real story!  How funny!  Poor ol' pussy cat!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

evie2

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 23:07 »
He's recover enough to join me in the orchard tonight bless him but maybe that's because the chickens were distracted by rabbit food ;)

xx
Amazing survival story!

Started by gingerplant on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 06:39
by New shoot
xx
Noisy rooster - local news story

Started by Ben_H on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 14:00
by shetan
xx
A little story of unloved chicklings, luck and happy endings.

Started by Spana on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 17:56
by ANHBUC
xx
chicken poo

Started by pepsi100 on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 10:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.