Potato Peelings

• 6 Replies

JMF

Potato Peelings
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:48 »
Someone told me that you can feed chickens potato peelings as long as they have been boiled down to some kind of mash - is this ok to do.  Also although our girls are well secured our cocker spaniel does not seem to love them as much as we do - any ideas on trying to make the peace between them Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Potato Peelings
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:52 »
Potato peelings are fine as long as they have been boiled  :)
As for mixing dogs with chickens the answer is to do it slowly, and until you are really sure of your dog then you must keep it on a lead. One of my old dogs would never have been allowed near mt birds but the two I have now are ok - the mastiff forgets herself every now and then but after a 30 second chase she then flops down. If a chicken squats she sniffs it then walks away.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 14:16 »
We have an electric wire round our run as one of our springers threw herself at the fence when we first got our hens.  She is the one that has always shown far more interest in them than the other two.  Hopefully it will keep Mr Fox out aswell.  We always put our three dogs in their dog run before we let our hens out for a short free range.  Its just safer that way.  Although our dogs are primarily pets my oh uses them as working dogs so picking up game comes naturally to them.  I wouldn't risk letting any of them out together just in case.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

evie2

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 15:57 »
our girls love baked potatoes and pasta, suddenly ;) we  have a surplus at every diner time ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

PaulineM

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 21:25 »
I remember my granny (nearly 40 years ago) boiling potato skins with nettles for her chickens. I will be trying this some time soon  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

lynnsb

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 22:13 »
I gave mine some spaghetti yesterday and they went mad for it and chased each other around trying to pinch each others-it was hilarious to watch

Spana

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 22:26 »
Mine got all our potato peelings, boiled for about 20 mins, drained and fed hot.
There is one line of thinking that starch is not good for hens and that its not a natural thing in their diet.  Another line is that its OK.
I just know that mine get them and love them :) I used to leave some of the cooking water in and mix layers mash with them but dont bother now.

xx
potato peelings

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 19:41
by SnooziSuzi
xx
potato peelings

Started by darren64 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 12:44
by fastmonkey85
xx
potato peelings

Started by judyboo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 18:34
by chicken soup
xx
Potato Peelings

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 22:08
by Selkie

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 36 queries.