Seabird colony?

• 7 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Seabird colony?
« on: August 24, 2011, 20:43 »
I'm obviously still discovering the ins and outs of keeping chickens. Whilst poo picking tonight some of the girls had gone into the coop and the most bizarre range of noises began to float out from within. The chrrrs, burps and low pitch honks combined with flapping had me worried that something had got in there with them but when I looked in they all pretended to be completely innocent in a "nothing to see here" kind of fashion.

bantam novice

Re: Seabird colony?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 21:26 »
 :D sounds like settling down for the night/pecking order type noises.  They can be quite versatile with the sounds they make, can't they?   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:05 »
When I hear my chickens making a new noise I try to copy it, with variable results (and probably a lot of entertainment for the neighbours).

One of the most interesting ones was when they were going to bed in the evening and they made a distinctive "peouw peouw" noise.  (When I made it back to them I had to make it quite nasal to get the right sound.)  Anyway once I got it right they would stop going to roost on their perches where they had been roosting for weeks, and come over and jump up on something high near me to roost!  I was very surprised at how effective it was.

I have a theory that if I ever want to change the place where my chickens roost I can either make that noise to call them over, or perhaps make a recording of their own bed-time noise to call them to the new roosting spot.

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44 »
When I hear my chickens making a new noise I try to copy it, with variable results (and probably a lot of entertainment for the neighbours).

One of the most interesting ones was when they were going to bed in the evening and they made a distinctive "peouw peouw" noise.  (When I made it back to them I had to make it quite nasal to get the right sound.)  Anyway once I got it right they would stop going to roost on their perches where they had been roosting for weeks, and come over and jump up on something high near me to roost!  I was very surprised at how effective it was.

I have a theory that if I ever want to change the place where my chickens roost I can either make that noise to call them over, or perhaps make a recording of their own bed-time noise to call them to the new roosting spot.

I hope you do the chicken motion with the arms and legs whilst making those noises Lindeggs  :D
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

char

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 18:17 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 19:09 »
 :lol:  I like the Krrrr noise my broody mother hen makes when showing her chicks where the food is.  :)

Raven81

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 23:51 »
Mine make a distinct "nagging" noise if I let them out late in the mornings.  I am sure they are telling me off, its the only time they do it!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Spacey

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 11:55 »
Before we got our first chickens we obviously got the run and coop sorted out ready for them. I used to go out in the garden and make chickeny noises and sing 'chick chick chicken lay a little egg for me'. One of my neighbours who I also happen to work with came to me one day at work and said how much she was enjoying hearing our new chickens. I'm not sure who was more embarassed when I admitted it had been me!!

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 28 queries.