Jacket Potatoes, GW best varieties

• 9 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Jacket Potatoes, GW best varieties
« on: January 06, 2015, 23:28 »
This months GW magazine has an article on best variety for baking.   The tasting was done by BBC Good Food Magazine. 

1 Vivaldi - Second early ,Yield 5.7kg ,   taste    10/10   Our overall winner and the outstanding favourite with our taste testers- it has a great flavour , creamy texture and delicious skin. An excellent garden performer too, producing a heavy crop of large tubers. You can buy it in the supermarket to taste it before you grow it.

2 Sante  - Maincrop , yield 8kg,  taste 8/10  Second in terms of taste but by far the best overall yield , which included a high proportion of large, well shaped tubers. Described by our tasters as having a good flavour and good skin, but the texture wasn't as fluffy as Vivaldi.

3 Sarpo Mira - Maincrop  yield 6kg ,taste 6/10  'Sarpo' varieties have been bred by Savari Trust for blight resistance, and this one certainly performed well. Heavy cropping although slightly irregularly shaped with a small amount of scab. Described as middling for taste - it had a decent flavour, but a poor texture.

4 Innovator  Second early  yield 5.9kg, 4/10 A new variety with rough, 'russet' skin ; attractive in appearance and high- yeilding with a substantial proportion of good - sized and well- shaped tubers. Although a low scorer on taste, it was deemed too waxy and not fluffy enough.

5 Carolus  maincrop  yield 5.4kg, 4/10  A new variety for 2015, which showed outstanding blight resistance with healthy growth throughout .  The pink eyed tubers looked very attractive ,although a bit irregular in shape, but ranked low for taste due to its waxy dense texture.

6 Melody Second early   yield 5kg,  7/10  Rated third for for taste, with very good flavour, although not that floury in texture. Overall yield was reasonable with evenly shaped tubers, but while these were produced in quantity, relatively few were big enough for baking

7 Marfona Second early  yield 4.4kg  4/10  While our tasters thought this variety was bland and the skin not crispy, and the yield was lower than the majority, it produced a very high proportion of tubers that were jacket sized, smooth and evenly shaped.

8 Estima Second early  yield 3.4kg ,5/10  One of the first to succumb to blight so some of the tubers had to be discarded, hence the low yield. But our tasters liked the flavou, which resembled that of a creamy, new potato.

9 King Edward  maincrop  yield 4kg , 6/10  An old favourite with gardeners and good looking with red 'eyes' but a disappointing harvest in terms of weight and size - none of the potatoes were really big enough for baking. Susceptible to blight and with some slug damage. Middle - ranked for taste and texture

9 Isle of Jura  maincrop  yield 3kg , 5/10  A poor performer on most counts, with the low yield partly due to it being a favourite with the slugs - some tubers had to be discarded due to damage. Bland and flavourless, but reasonable in texture

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

compostqueen

Re: Jacket Potatoes, GW best varieties
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 00:46 »
Estima tastes lovely

Personally i like an Arrran Pilot jacket potato :)

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:32 »
Interesting that rhey found the King Eds too small as my own were too.  The owner of the local veg shop has also said that they are small this year. How odd.

Robster

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:57 »
I saw the article too.  Timely as I had a few comments from the troops at home that "much as they loved them could we please have something else other than Pink Fir Apple".  I'll see what our local garden centre has later but I hope I get vivaldi or sante.  I've always fancied Sarpo Mira just for the blight resistance so maybe i'll get some of that too

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:07 »
Totally contradicts what a lot on here say about Sarpo Mira.

Did they try every variety under the sun? I'll still grow Ambo and Amour.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

vron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 16:02 »
Can't beat a nice large Maris Piper for baking, nice crispy skin, nice and fluffy inside great taste.

Followed closely by a large King Edwards crispy skin, great flavour. YUM YUM

Both varieties make great roasties and great chips also
Vron, Tara & Harley. (The black beastie)

"The more people I meet, the more I like my Dogs"

gypsy

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 19:06 »
Wilja are my fave for roasting.
Catherine

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 20:36 »
I think they only tested those few.  Which if I'm right is a little bit useless.  I rather have all your recommendations.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 21:00 »
I like red potatoes for jackets and my fav is Desiree  :)

Agatha

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 21:40 »
Wilja are my fave for roasting.

Me too!  They are THE BEST!  Though I like King Edward for roasting - mandatory for Christmas Day.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

xx
Best for Jacket Potatoes?

Started by Plot25 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2006, 17:43
by Plot25
question
Best jacket potatoes to grow

Started by LeanneN on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 03, 2020, 11:01
by Tenhens
xx
Potatoes - varieties mixed up!

Started by pinkdaisychain on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 17:47
by andtiggertoo
xx
potatoes, varieties and time !

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2007, 08:32
by DadBear

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.