liquid seaweed

• 4 Replies

sootyfaestoney

liquid seaweed
« on: March 10, 2012, 17:23 »
hi folks,
newbie here, I have just been given a bit of land for my new allotmentish type thing.
It is a bit of a overgrown lawn just now but today was the first time I got into it with the strimmer.I aim to take photos of the progress, but I was reading this m,onths Grow It mag, and it mentioned liquid seaweed, and this made me think is that just seaweed soaked in water, like you do with your rhubardb leaves, as I live next to the sea, I can get seaweed nae bother.So I thought I would ask the crowd as it looks like this website is a mine of excellent tips and it is also a cracking read about all yoor sites.
cheers sooty

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: liquid seaweed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 17:30 »
I'm not sure about its preparation, but you need permission to harvest seaweed from the shore - don't assume you can just turn up and get it.  I'd also have concerns about its salt content if simply soaking it in water like comfrey leaves.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 20:56 »
I make gallons of the stuff every year and my plants love it. Just leave it soaking in a large drum for a few months and then decant it into large bottles for storage until needed. It's very smelly and using it is a bit anti-social if you have close neighbours. When you fish out the part rotted seaweed bung it on your compost heap as it adds a lot of trace elements.

The salt content is negligible and won't have any effect on your crops.

sootyfaestoney

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 21:01 »
cheers for that, I know the harbour master, so I wil clear it with him first, but as I posted the message I thought how is it going to rot in water, it was ment to be in water. Its seaweed.
Does it absloutely honk when done as I dont really fancy that on the plot, if it honks when put down as we already get the aroma from the slurry tanks when they stir them up on the farms.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:28 »
Not a lot of seaweed available in Sheffield  ::) but when I used to live in Hastings we used to make a brew from foraged seaweed (I think by the time it's been washed up and then sat beyond the high tide mark for a few weeks it's well and truly dead, so isn't going to continue to grow whatever you do with it.)

It certainly does stink, but no worse than most other "homebrews" and not really a problem if you keep a lid on it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Liquid seaweed

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 21:34
by Ice
xx
Liquid seaweed

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2017, 20:25
by JimB
xx
Seaweed liquid feed

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 09:38
by snowdrops
xx
liquid seaweed fertiliser

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2006, 09:20
by John

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 37 queries.