Advice please....please read...

• 8 Replies

alaj

Advice please....please read...
« on: August 08, 2011, 20:51 »
Evening one and all
We collected 3 hens on saturday from BHWT, one of which looked generally healthier etc (almost all feathers and bolshy :tongue2:)  and the other 2 at best threadbare.  It is the 1st hen that concerns me.  Priscilla seemed well on saturday though obviously disoriented etc but yesterday seemed less bolshy and seemed to be 'dipping' IYKWIM her wing and struggling a little. She seemed otherwise well and bright so we decided to wait and see. Today she is only moving when she needs to. BUT, she again is happy to talk,stroke etc and has gotten worse as the day has gone on.  On inspection,there is nothing caught between her toes,no cuts,her legs feel ok,her wings seem ok to move and so on.  What I think is that he may have a combined issue of muscle ache,bruising and maybe she got missed out on the nail clipping that BHWT usually do prior to rehoming.  Thoughts and advice gratefully received.........
My chickens probably make more sense than I do so forgive me ;-)

Elcie

Re: Advice please....please read...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 21:00 »
Hi Alaj and welcome to the site.  Congratulations on getting your new hens and sorry to hear that one isn't doing too well.  To be honest I don't really have any specific advice for you but hopefully someone more experienced will be along soon  to help you.  Is she eating at all?

alaj

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 21:02 »
Hiya and thanks for replying!!
She is eating and seemed quite delighted by the worms we hand fed her earlier which is what makes me wonder whether its her toenails (youngest insists on calling them that) and she needs a pedicure.
Poor Priscilla :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 21:12 »
could you post a photo of her feet so we can see if it is her nails or not.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 21:23 »
What ground do you have your hens on, if they are on a really hard surface and need nails trimming it would make it more uncomfortable for her.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 21:52 »
Some thoughts - moving is really stressful for chx at the best of times. The droopy wing sounds like your poorly girl might be developing an illness which is stress induced. It might be worth putting her in a box overnight and part of the day to minimize her stress and see how she goes. Otherwise keep them very quiet and in the run and only feed their normal pellets/mash for a few days to keep everything as settled and 'normal' as you can for them.

Are her nails long then? Could you ring BHWT and ask their advice re clipping them?

alaj

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 21:57 »
Hey all
Thanks for responding.
The ground we have the ovenready crew on is grass and despite the rain the going remains firm though well grassed.
We did get her feet trimmed, poor girl, 12mm came off  :( anybody would feel miserable with that.  Her left foot is a little warm but the general consensus (last night,our vet nurse in exchange for a beer at some point) was that  her leg got damaged whilst in the battery cage at some point and stayed slightly twisted thus making it worse for her when her nails grew unchecked, and that possibly the transit to the rehoming point,then to here has aggravated it hence the heat in the foot, and also that it looked as though she has trodden on some stinging nettles which has really finished her off so to speak.
SO.  She has been pulled out through the day to sit quietly with food and water away from Colin and Runner though in sight of them, has had arnica cream on her legs (it was suggested so we thought cant do any harm) and then has gone back in with her chums through the night. Today she spent some time in the coop with the others and I sat to watch. I think she has been trying to use the perch, but because of her gammy leg, cant and that this is compounding things. Not sure what to do about that, but a friend has offered to make a custom perch for her. How crackers?! :tongue2:
Henamoured.....now Ive read that, it sounds likely, so will be watching her closely. It does kinda fit.
Joyfull....will do tomorrow
 Thankyou all   :lol:

juliemax1

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 22:46 »
hi just wanted to tell you about lifegurd vitamin supliment to add to drinking water its highly recomended for ex batts aswell during the moult or other stressfull times i use it on my chooks and its well worth the money (£10) compared to other vits and tonics, happy hening around  :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:35 »
Glad things have improved for her.  Keep us up to date on her progress.  :)

xx
PLEASE READ THIS, ADVICE NEEDED>

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 18:22
by NormandyMary
xx
another new problem please read on

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 17:08
by jackieand glenn
xx
Please read and be aware.

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 15:40
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Poultry dispatching? (don't read if you don't want to!)

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 12:54
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 29 queries.