Noisy Chick

• 9 Replies

F1schuey

Noisy Chick
« on: August 09, 2011, 15:37 »
I have just acquired two week old chicks today. Set up a homemade brooder. The seller didnt have a temp for me. So Ive set the heat lamp at 35 in the corner, so that they can get closer or move away.  Both are eating, pooing and watering fine. However one of the chicks is so loud, Peep (well more loud cheeping than peeping)  The have both crashed now in the corner. I didnt realise they were so loud.  Is this normal.

I was told they were both female but am thinking one is going to be a cock.  On closer examination, one has a comb and the other nothing??? ie one looks like a klingon and the other one is flat.

I also didn't realise they crash when they go to sleep... thought they were dead :S Im wondering if the sellers children played with them alot as they seem to shut up when you go to them.  Anyway all is quiet now they are nappleting.

Any advice please and is this all normal
I have 1 Lovely Husband, 2 lovely children, Poppy the Jack Russell, Alvin the Hamster, Jemima & Florence, Ben & Jerry the Budgies and our gorgeous Chick Sylvia and Jess aka Terry :D

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Noisy Chick
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 18:11 »
When we had to move our chicks indoors, one of them was very 'needy'! It used to quieten down when cuddled. Fingers croossed this is the same with your little one.
Can't wait to see pics.  ;)

F1schuey

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:26 »
Pics
What sex are these.jpg
What sex 2.jpg

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 11:01 »
Sometimes they cheep more when they are too chilly, but they should be okay if your little lamp keeps them at around 35.  Then bring temp down about 2 degrees each week until they are 4 weeks old.  If you can't lower the temp, raise the lamp a couple of inches each week.

Even though there are 2 of them, they could still be lonely, they love being chatted or sung to!  And I do have a little blue rabbit that I put in the brooder if I've only got one or two chicks for some reason.  It acts a bit like 'Mum'!

Hope they are okay!  they are lovely! :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:58 by GrannieAnnie »

F1schuey

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:19 »
Im sure one of my kids has a cuddle toy somewhere I shall tray that thank you x

F1schuey

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:40 »
Just got to tell you, within a min of putting little brown bear in they were under it! so funny and cute.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 12:58 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

But is the noisy one any quieter?  ;)

F1schuey

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 13:09 »
Yes they are both loving it, I think there were alot of chicks together and just the two of them were lonely, especially if one moved away.  So mama bear is doing the trick, I would never of thought of it.  Thank You :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 13:13 »
It will get pooped on, but little blue bunny is still fine after being pooped on several times!

Another thing I saw in Katie Thears starting with chickens book was she divided a brooder box into 2 compartments.  the warm one with the heat lamp, and a cooler section with their food and water where they could go if it got too hot.  In the cool area she suspended a mop head and inch or so off the bottom of the box, and the chicks were going under that like they would a mummy hen!

F1schuey

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 13:20 »
Yes we're doing that, I saw that someone had done that and it seemed a good way to eventually have them get used to a coop.... I noticed the pooped near the light more than the far corner, so its made it easier for me to clean up more often. 
When eventually they go outside Im going to carry this little coop into the big run during the daytime. My husband is converting a small shed we have into a winter chicken shed as we have extreme weather here. 
My existing girls are free range, so when I let them out in the morning the newbies can go into the large run and then I hoping that the will integrate easier.
I keep having to remind myself that its still early days and not to get too ahead of myself.

xx
Noisy chick and beginner keeper!

Started by rooky on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 21:29
by Casey76
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
How noisy?

Started by Glen on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 14:21
by Kazoo

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 28 queries.