Composting aphid-infested plant remains - a recipe for disaster?

• 7 Replies

Rob the rake

My purple sprouting broccoli, going to flower after being unpicked for a while, was dug up and dismembered for the compost heap, but some of the spears had become infested with grey aphids. Unwilling to simply discard such a large quantity of compostable materials and reluctant to spray them with home-made insecticides which may or may not be toxic to any microbes and creatures in the bin, I simply buried them in the middle, soaked with a liberal dousing of Personally Issued Secret Stimulant (man-wee, discreetly collected!) and covered with a thick layer of grass clippings. Is there any likelihood that the'll survive this treatment and re-emerge as a plague at some future date, or is it more likely that other bin inhabitants, centipedes and so on, will use them as a handy snack?

The urine will ensure a veritable explosion of microbial activity with a concomitant volcanic rise in temperature, so maybe this will do them in anyhow.

Incidentally, is anyone else willing to admit that they use this free source of compost activator, easily the equal of Garotta?  As I understand it, only man-wee will do the trick properly, as the hormones in the female version aren't good for the garden, so it's said.  :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Hampshire Hog

Fascinating to hear of your secret accelerator! Perhaps I should try mine  :ohmy:
As to your aphids I think you are correct that a high temperature in the heap should finish them off.
Keep digging

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Yep, don't actively collect it but bladder not what it was so when needs must, tend to add water and put on the compost heap. Not up to use as a direct, diluted fertiliser, not sure what I would say if anyone asked what I was using  :ohmy: :blush:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
As I understand it, only man-wee will do the trick properly, as the hormones in the female version aren't good for the garden, so it's said.  :D

I think you’re being a little chauvinistic rather than scientific there, me dear.   ::)

This article is all about using wee as a fertiliser:

https://veganorganic.net/fertilizing-with-human-urine/

snowdrops

Yes I add any liquid I produce whilst at the plot to my compost bin & I believe it is a fallacy that female urine doesn’t do the trick. Think you’re aphids will be well & truly kaput in the compost, they’d need oxygen to survive I think,plus if you bin gets hot enough it will finish most stuff off. Anything & everything goes in mine apart from horse/mares tail & the club root of brassicas.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Rob the rake

As I understand it, only man-wee will do the trick properly, as the hormones in the female version aren't good for the garden, so it's said.  :D

I think you’re being a little chauvinistic rather than scientific there me dear.   ::)

This article is all about using wee as a fertiliser:

https://veganorganic.net/fertilizing-with-human-urine/

No chauvinism intended, I assure you! Can't remember the source of the info, but I wasn't making it up for comedic effect - it was a genuine quote from someone who sounded like an expert. i'm happy to accept that it may have been debunked, of course.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
On my compost heap at least, the stuff rots for at least a year before anything is done with it, so I think if yours is on a similar calendar, you probably don't need to worry about resurrecting zombie aphids!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Rob the rake

On my compost heap at least, the stuff rots for at least a year before anything is done with it, so I think if yours is on a similar calendar, you probably don't need to worry about resurrecting zombie aphids!

The intention is always to turn the bin contents once in a while, but finding the time to do so when the season's in full swing is quite another thing!

xx
composting infested produce??

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2019, 18:09
by Offwego
xx
runner beans and comfrey tea remains

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 10:31
by Growster...
xx
Infested onions

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 21:06
by bazial
xx
whitefly infested brassicas

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 14:44
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 41 queries.