Leggy courgettes

• 4 Replies

Pippa

Leggy courgettes
« on: May 28, 2008, 22:21 »
Hi, this is my first post here so apologies if I am asking a question which has been answered many times. I started some courgettes off inside this year and won't be making that mistake again as they are seriously leggy. The plants seems to be developing OK but there is a long stalk before the first leaves. Should I plant them out and if so, how deep?
Oh, and has anyone managed to get celeriac to germinate?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leggy courgettes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:49 »
Hi pippa & welcome.

Get them out now, they will soon strengthen up. I germinate mine in a cold greehouse. Just bury them slightly above the current compost level.

Celeriac? No problems with germination, maybe a duff packet. Where did you sow them?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

diggerjoe

Leggy courgettes
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:55 »
Mine are the same pippa although they were sown in cold greenhouse varieties are nano, kojac, calvi and nice de rond its the nano ones that are really leggy- I potted them on last night as I the are in the lottie is not ready yet - it was the same last year but they soon got going and fruited really well - in fact too well - now thinking about it I've rather over done the number of plants again - will i never learn :roll:

Pippa

Leggy courgettes
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 18:11 »
Thanks, I will put them out and keep my fingers crossed. The celeriac was in a seed tray in the spare room but I only got a couple germinating! It's the first time I have tried to grow it so wondered if I was missing a trick. I found some plants in a garden centre today so will cheat with those this year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leggy courgettes
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 18:20 »
Planted 36 out today. Usual problem is too many as the seed is that fine. Started mine inside also & moved them to unheated greenhouse once germinated.

xx
Leggy Cabbage

Started by jockster on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 21:08
by shaun
xx
Leggy plants

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2007, 23:17
by shaun
xx
leggy seedlings

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 18:41
by casper
xx
Leggy beetroot?

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 14:58
by andreadon

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 32 queries.