Comfrey patch

• 11 Replies

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
Comfrey patch
« on: April 29, 2013, 18:25 »
I am toying with the idea of planting a comfrey patch in some unused space behind my composters at the lottie

Everyone says its a great fertiliser and I like the idea of having a free source right next to the plot but I'm wondering where all the nutrients and goodness is coming from.

I know they have great big roots to absorb nutrients but won't they just take everything and leave nothing for the other plants ? And if this is the case could I plant at home instead or will it starve the grass as well?

The two that keep appearing when I search are bocking 14 and Symphytum officinale

Bocking 14 is sterile but symphytum didn't say, Or really go into much detail.. But I don't want it spreading everywhere if I can help it

What is anyone else growing, any advice greatly appreciated  :)

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
Re: Comfrey patch
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 18:39 »
Comfrey roots tend to go deeper than most other things on the plot, which means they draw nutrients from areas of the soil that your fruit and veg can't access.

Bocking 14 won't spread & can only be raised from a transplanted plant from a generous neighbour, or from root cuttings.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 18:46 »
My learned plotty friends say the Bocking14 has purple tube like flowers and it seems they are right.. not much spreading of the plants on the plots other than root creep.

At my FIL plot in Scotland the blue small flowered variety is all over the place... from the raodways to the old railway line and down to the river.. It has spread by seeding. So I suggest get B14 and plant behind the compost heap like you say. Mine is in front of it and will be cut for the first time in a few weeks. It's late this year as it should be ready to be cut and leaves palced below the spuds when planting them. Mine is only a year old and grown from root cuttings.. So easy to grow.. You dont have to buy it. Just fing some and dig it up, cut the plant base roots into finger size pieces and plant.. simples

I also make comfrey tea with it by the water butt full..

See Johns advice here.. http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/comfrey/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 18:48 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 19:00 »
A few years ago I pulled some roots growing wild in the works carpark and they've never really spread unless I've purposely split them.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 19:30 »
My friend has regular comfrey in her yard and the dratted stuff has spread by seeds everywhere. The very deep and large roots are impossible to dig out without an excavator so be sure it's planted where you want it permanently. I planted some of her transplants along my treeline where the competition from mature acers will keep them in check.

the bocking 14 does have flowers but the seeds are sterile, so it's just a clumping variety that expands very very slowly over the years. I've just bought 3 cuttings of the 14 that will go to a dedicated space in a sunny patch.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 19:46 »
I'm also considering planting a patch of comfrey this year. I was going to go for the B14, but I'm still worried about it spreading.

Would it be overkill to dig out a bed and "wall in" the sides to prevent spread? I'm not sure what to use if so, and how deep the wall would need to be to stop it spreading?

If that idea is overkill, is it necessary to double-dig the comfrey bed? I'd like to give the comfrey the best possible start, so I can get harvesting ASAP!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 19:52 »
From people I know who've grown the Bocking 14, it's not a problem for root spreading as it takes a very long time to do that. Perhaps in the future if you find it approaching an acceptable maximum area, you could then consider enclosing it with sheets of strong metal sunk into the ground, or mortar up some sunken concrete blocks.

I know the site owner, John, has grown it in the past and had little to no trouble with it. HERE.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 20:18 »
CG our plots have little clumps dotted around of 14 and not taken over in the slightest.. so dont panic with building a nuclear bunker for it.. Just plant it in a shady patch that wont grow anything else - the comfrey sure will grow!!

fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 20:23 »
Bocking 14 will not invade or spread to other areas. I have 5 plants on my plot & it is great stuff that stays where you put it. The only way to cultivate it is if you dig some up and replant it elsewhere.

Here is a picture of mine 5 days ago.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 20:25 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 21:14 »
I have this started off in an old water tank from the loft ?

going to keep it slightly away from the plot but interested to see how good it is

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 21:17 »
I think with the regular comfrey the trick is not to let it flower, treat it like a crop and keep cutting it back.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 22:25 »
Thanks for the advice guys  :)

xx
COMFREY PATCH

Started by BRIDGEFORD on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2006, 22:32
by John
xx
Comfrey

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 08:46
by Yorkie
xx
Comfrey tea

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 19:52
by Beetroot queen
xx
Comfrey?!

Started by littleorchard on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 05, 2007, 14:08
by Clodagh & Dick

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 29 queries.