onion problem advice?

• 7 Replies

salmonking

onion problem advice?
« on: April 29, 2013, 13:17 »
me again!last year I planted a bed of onions both white and red but the majority of the white onions bolted and went to seed.my brother in law thinks that I might of watered them too much but I haven't got a clue,id like to try to avoid my onion patch looking like it should be in the Chelsea flower show this year so any advice would be great thanks! :D

Beetroot queen

Re: onion problem advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 13:19 »
My onions also tend to do this. I gave up last year and decided lidl sell perfectly good onions and cheaply too. This year we have put some in our back garden, the soil is very poor and they seem to be doing really well.  :wacko:

salmonking

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 13:32 »
My onions also tend to do this. I gave up last year and decided lidl sell perfectly good onions and cheaply too. This year we have put some in our back garden, the soil is very poor and they seem to be doing really well.  :wacko:

buying thems cheating! :lol: im giving it another go this year and if they do it again it will be the last!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 14:10 »
the majority of the white onions bolted

Red onions are notorious for bolting, so trust you to be awkward  :lol:

I take it you planted onion sets rather than grown from seed?  Onions have a 2 year cycle - growing in the first year and building up a food store to overwinter (which we harvest as the onion bulb), then it will flower in the second.  A set is just a baby onion still in its "1st year" but if you plant too early and then there is frost or return of winter and snow (espcially a harsh one), then this seems to trigger the "Year 2" stage.

There'll always be frosts in spring so it's not that easy to predict but you could plant the sets slightly later to miss the worst of the early spring frosts, and perhaps put some fleece over to give them some protection.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 14:12 »
It was the whites that bolted for us too. I did us sets

salmonking

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 14:43 »
the majority of the white onions bolted

Red onions are notorious for bolting, so trust you to be awkward  :lol:

I take it you planted onion sets rather than grown from seed?  Onions have a 2 year cycle - growing in the first year and building up a food store to overwinter (which we harvest as the onion bulb), then it will flower in the second.  A set is just a baby onion still in its "1st year" but if you plant too early and then there is frost or return of winter and snow (espcially a harsh one), then this seems to trigger the "Year 2" stage.

There'll always be frosts in spring so it's not that easy to predict but you could plant the sets slightly later to miss the worst of the early spring frosts, and perhaps put some fleece over to give them some protection.

yes it was sets I planted,it could well of been the weather that caused it then.im sure I planted them earlier last year!.as for being awkward.....I am welsh so I have an excuse! ;)

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:44 »
If they bolt, then nip out the flower stem as soon as you see it. The onion's will not keep as well but are perfect for eating.

willp

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:05 »

if you plant too early and then there is frost or return of winter and snow (espcially a harsh one), then this seems to trigger the "Year 2" stage.

I fully expect this to happen with mine this year  :(

Mine were in the ground in early March. Reds too

Will

xx
Onion Problem

Started by Andy999 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 08:19
by Gandan57
xx
Onion problem - any help please

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 15:12
by Goosegirl
xx
Onion problem

Started by Weessy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 19:41
by shokkyy
xx
onion problem

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 19:08
by Plottered

Page created in 1.301 seconds with 36 queries.