part time broodys?

• 6 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
part time broodys?
« on: March 23, 2008, 21:28 »
Hi
Today my 3 girls went into the hen house at 9 and didn't come out!  I know it was bad weather - although we didn't get snow just cold rain  :roll: - but they aren't fair weather beasties they are usually out in all weathers.
So at 3 I snuck up to the house opened the door and ............

All 3 of my girlies are all fluffed up and growly.....presumably going broody.  
Is it likely for 3 to go broody at the same time or is 1 broody and the others coming out in sympathy.  
I removed them all and shut the hen house door.
I kept the door shut until bedtime but then 2 ran straight in to the nest box.   :roll:
I'm worried I'll keep them out of the nest box if they'll want to lay. as they dont seem to be totally broody yet.
What would you do?

Vember

part time broodys?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 21:35 »
when mine go broody they tend to go paler round the face and combs, your still look quite red.

I do find that once one has gone broody the others tend to follow but never had them all start on the same day.

If it were me I'd leave them to do what they want as long as there's no other signs of them feeling under the weather, see what happens in a day or two  :)

Foxy

part time broodys?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 22:13 »
ness had exactly the same thing last year! these 3 literally when brood the same day -bless them!!! :lol:  :lol:

ness

• Experienced Member
part time broodys?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57 »
Thanks for your replies.
Yours looks lovely, foxy!  Aren't they gorgeous girls!
I'm convinced now only 1 has gone broody and the others were just showing moral support.  Mother Hen has given up and enjoying a dust bath.  Chuckles forgot about it this morning but now had gone back in to keep her sister company.  Princess Snow White seems the only one putting any effort into it.  Will give her a couple of days before removing her, this is her second attempt at broodiness the first time she only lasted 3 days.
Thanks again
Ness

Foxy

part time broodys?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05 »
love the names!! really sweet, just wait for the warm weather then the broodies will be out in force with their "we will not be moved" expressions! :lol:  :lol:

Jellyhead

part time broodys?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 10:18 »
I have 4 broodys now Ness, 2 went broody at the same time but not the same nest box and since then another 2 have joined them 8) I am dreading any others tho as I find it difficult not letting them become mummies :oops: Also one of my little Polands is sitting on her own and some silkie eggies but soon the Silkies will probably go broody :roll: I really have to tuffen up else we will have too many :shock:  :shock: if thats at all possible :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
part time broodys?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 12:09 »
I had 5 broody silkies sitting on 5 peacock eggs a couple of years ago! It was lovely to see but however they knew who's turned the eggs etc, I don't know. When it came to hatching it was even funnier as they fought over who was going to be mum! Eventually 2 shared the task with the others babysitting when the "mums" had to go shopping or to have their hair done! The most dedicated "mum" still treats the peacocks (now a couple of years old and...big),...as if they're still babies and the male is totally dedicated to his "mum"! I'm tempted to give the 3 that are broody at the moment a few peacock eggs but then we spent hours rescuing the peachicks from the trees each evening as they're very flighty...even with clipped wings! They fly into the low branches of a tree and shout ..just to let any predators know exactly where they're hiding!!  :? It became quite a laugh when we had to leave parties or village events to nip home and catch the peachicks!! Our French friends just think we're totally bonkers when it comes to our animals!
 :shock:
 :)   :)

xx
2 Broodys!

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2007, 10:07
by muntjac
xx
Broodys galore

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 17:07
by NormandyMary
xx
2 Broodys & 1 chick - help

Started by Tammy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 13:28
by Tammy
xx
separating broodys

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 21:50
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 35 queries.