New to Forum and Chicken Keeping

• 15 Replies

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
New to Forum and Chicken Keeping
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 17:47 »
Hi

Yes two of mine are very noisy, but only when they are in their pen, once they are out in the garden they are in their element.
Mine have been free ranging since about October and I have a small patch of lawn they have dug up, the rest is looking pretty good but I am planning on netting that part to allow it to recover! They have been excellent weeders too and my borders are looking well dug over at the moment although the shrubs/roses etc are untouched.  They love getting in my pots and destroying the plants!  I also have a rockery which they enjoy getting onto and a pond which they drink from, sometimes they are lucky and get a frog.
I would recommend Black Rocks - these are the first chickens I have ever had and have found them very easy to look after and hardy.  They are really friendly and love human contact, they all know their names and come when called.  
For treats to hang in their pen use sweetcord husks - they love these, or string bags with greens in, you can use anything that you can hand up like a peice of brocoli or apple etc. anything to keep them occupied really.  I scatter raisens before I let them out so them take a bit of time to hoover them up (doesn't take long though).

xx
New to keeping hens and to the forum!

Started by alfieairedale on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 22:14
by alfieairedale
xx
New to forum and keeping hens.

Started by Sparr0wman on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 17:32
by raeburg
xx
New to chicken keeping

Started by bibbyuk on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 08:58
by bibbyuk
xx
HELP - new to chicken keeping!

Started by dazza666 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 15:07
by dazza666

Page created in 0.731 seconds with 36 queries.