They've arrived!!!!

• 11 Replies

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
They've arrived!!!!
« on: November 02, 2010, 20:36 »
Hi all, just to let you know that we collected the ladies this evening and they have settled in well so far!  In the end we went for two bluebells - Flo and Lopper, a Speckled maran - Schumacher (can you tell we love the F1?? but funnily enough are actually Hamilton fans!) and finally, a white leghorn - my husband still deciding on a name as we speak - potentially it will be Alice!
So we collected them and the boys had a stroke while they slept in the box!!! Everyone was happy and very calm!!! (thanks for all advice on this :D  )
I am now in the process of measuring out the Flubenvet into their feed for the next week. I have seen all of the very helpful posts on this and measurements etc so thanks to all previous people who have asked my questions for me.  However, I did wonder how much a chicken might eat in a day?  How long might 2kg last four chickens?  Do I keep measuring it out like that until 7 days are up?  then do I bin the remaining feed or can they still eat it?
Anyway, i am on cloud nine!  Such a shame the weather is so horrendous!!! Our electric has gone off twice already with things being flooded outside!  Just glad my girls are tucked up safe and warm!!
:D

orchardlady

Re: They've arrived!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 21:09 »

I'm so glad to hear your girls have arrived.  :)

As you will be feeding your young ladies on an add lib basis it's always a bit tricky to tell how much they'll eat. As you've suggested weigh it out 2kg at a time and then you can always just cut the quantities of everything in half again as you approach the last day. If there's only a little flubenvet medicated feed left let them eat that.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 21:37 »
Ok, thanks OL.  I will do that.  Thanks again for your help! :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 00:13 »
on average a hen will eat 125-130gms of food per day, but if there is any left after the 7 days, it certainly won't hurt them to finish it off. 

Waste not, want not and all that!  :D

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 16:45 »
Hi Tigerwren
I've got 4 chx too. When I wormed them they ate the 2kg in about 4 days so I mixed up another batch about a 1/4 of which was left over. They were all laying then (in the summer) so yours might eat less if not laying. Just to mention - they don't have anything else at all for that 7 days no treats etc... but mine actually looked better for it.
Enjoy your new hens. :)

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 22:05 »
Hi Henamoured,
thank you for the tip on no treats, which we will start from tomorrow!! :S  Missed the info on that.. but they had eaten some of the layers pellets today and we only gave them a little mixed seed this evening about 6ish as they were rosey about.  We will definitely not give any more treats at all until they have had all of the flubenvet! Thanks for the advice!!

evie2

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 16:00 »
A new chook keeper :D Hello Tigerwren, good choices, just wait until you get your first eggs :D any pics yet?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 18:43 »
So hows the new chooks going Tigerwren? I assume your spending all your time caring for them and watching them all day? Its too late your already addicted :D

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 19:15 »
Good luck, Tigerwren,
lovely choices and we would love to see pics when you have a chance  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 22:04 »
Hi all,
crikey, I didn't realise that becoming addicted to chickens took less than two days!  However, I am proof - I keep looking out the window in the hall to check on their coop - even though it is dark and I can only see the outline!! I have been talking incessantly to anyone who will listen and I stood in the rain for ten minutes talking to my girlies this morning - making everyone in the house late... it's rosey great!!!   ;)I love them!  I can't believe how quickly they are showing their personalities either - Lopper is definitely head honcho and Schumacher has actually been first out two days in a row - greedy girl!  They came straight out this morning and let me get quite close before they backed off a little.  I am looking forward to getting them out and about during the weekend.  I wondered if people recommended cutting the flight feathers or do I really need to do this??
Anyway, I have some nice little intro pics which I would love to show you all, but I haven't got a clue how to upload them... Any suggestions?
 :D :D

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 22:12 »
I'm afraid I can't help with the photo bit useless me...

Cutting flight feathers. There are two schools of thought here.

1. don't cut them as it misbalances the bird when it flaps and tries to get away from predators like a fox.

2. Trim them as it miss balances the bird so it's will tend not to flap up onto fences etc and disappear into your neighbours vegetable plot.

Personally I cut the flight feathers on one wing when I first get new hens then don't bother after that.

I keep my hens in a free range environment and want them to stay in their field rather than hoping/flapping over neighbours fences into their gardens.

So glad to hear you are enjoying your new ladies. The novelty simply doesn't wear off. :)

Fisherman

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:33 »
Hi Tigerwren
If you go to the notice board section there is information there on how to post a picture in a thread.

Don't forget to check them for lice and maybe treat them anyway as a precaution. I got caught out when getting new birds and they soon spread :( Using Frontline for kittens seems to be popular and if you search the site you will find plenty of advice on using it.

I'm with Orchardlady - cut the flight feathers on one wing initially then leave them as they start to grow back and see how it goes. We have a field of about 1 acre that they can free range in but they don't travel too far away from the coop especially at this time of year. They soon come back anyway, as soon as they see you coming as it won't take them long for them to relate you to being their main source of food.

How old are they? Wait until they start laying and you get your first egg. You will want to frame it never mind eat it  :D

xx
They've arrived!!

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 19:46
by sorrel
xx
C-Day has arrived!

Started by Njal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 17:14
by honeysuckle farm
xx
My girls have arrived

Started by vichope74 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 21:08
by dizzylizzie
xx
The alpacas have arrived!

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 16:47
by Trillium

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 35 queries.