Fireworks...

• 15 Replies

Dannii

Fireworks...
« on: October 24, 2008, 20:12 »
Hiya!

Hope you are all  well, as we are coming up to firworks I wondered how your chickens cope with the noise does it affect them? I know they are obviously tucked up in bed by the time fireowrks begin but wondered if it still scared them or had any lasting affects on them?

I'm asking as I know every year my next door neighbours have a little firework party but this wil be the first year we have had chickens so would appreciate any advice!!

Thankyou!

Dannii

poultrygeist

Fireworks...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 20:30 »
Good point. our neighbours like to release some explosives and we didn't have the chickens last year.

Might need to check on them mid-way. Don't know what I could do but maybe block the air vents for an hour. :?

Rob 8)

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Fireworks...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 20:38 »
I've heard some people bring them inside for the worst of it,keeping them in a large cardboard box,snug & warm.I've never had mine during fire work night before either,so I'll wait & see if anyone close by has them & keep a large box on standby.I've heard that the shock can kill them,it's a bit worrying isn't it
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Fireworks...
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 20:43 »
:shock:  :shock:  My nieghbours had loads of really big ones last year! but was over whole weeekend not just bonfire night! :(  I need to find a big box for my 7 girlies!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karlooben

Fireworks...
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 20:50 »
i know i have made a post about this before but i am still very worried about mine i dread to think what could happen.

as for bringing them indoors well  i wish but only prob is my puppy would have a field day after probably killing each and every one of them , i will just pray for the best .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

Fireworks...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 20:53 »
Can't comment on fireworks I hate them and no near neighbours.
 I know they're not bothered by thunder & lightening 'cause I have rushed out in the middle of a particularly bad storm in the middle of the night to check on them  :lol:

Garage wasn't too well after and it blew the main house fuse  :shock:

Hens were fine never batted an eye lid  :lol:

Sarah :)

Big Jen

Fireworks...
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 20:56 »
Have this problem every year! Next door neighbour is a Pub and they have a massive firework display every year. I have to move my horses to livery somewhere else which costs me a fortune, the fireworks are literally yards from my stables. Landlady doesnt even offer you a free drink for the inconvenience when you go in the pub!  
Dont know how it will affect the chickens this year but I cant move 25 into the house along with 3 dogs that also go frantic at the noise.
Dont wish to be a spoilsport but its about time they were banned in rural areas. Everyone in our little village has ponies, chickens etc and have to suffer this misery every year.

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

karlooben

Fireworks...
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 21:26 »
i have to agree that i want them banned full stop ... i cant see the point of them and i have always said u mite as well set fire to a £20 note  they are a totally waste of money an like all animal lover/owner i spend the whole of the  month trying to calm a very nervous pet of some sort .

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Fireworks...
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 21:38 »
I agree too, they should only be allowed at organised displays and not be sold to the public as we also get them go off on new years eve! :?

karlooben

Fireworks...
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 21:41 »
or anytime of the year .

Foxy

Fireworks...
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 22:37 »
I have just blocked the light in the houses and  covered  the arc with a blanket to muffle the sound -no problems so far, I guess because they are already quite dozy by the time they all go off.
But I absolutey adore fireworks! :D

Fannyann

Fireworks...
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 22:52 »
Last year I put a thick blanket over the coop to help muffle the sound and block out the light.
 Our next door neighbours always have a big bonfire and lots of loud fireworks (we go along and join the fun)
 My hens were fine in the morning. Can't remember if we had eggs the next day but their laying becomes a bit erratic at this time of year anyway.
I'd advise making sure your hens are tucked up early for the night for the week before/after 5th Nov. :)

Spadefighter

Fireworks...
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 08:25 »
My plan was to cover the ark with an old duvet. I guess there migh be a few strange eggs immediately after.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Fireworks...
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 10:11 »
Quote from: "chickenlady"
I agree too, they should only be allowed at organised displays and not be sold to the public as we also get them go off on new years eve! :?

Totally agree. Every year we have the local chavs setting them off on the streets night and day weeks before and after, even though there is 'supposed' to be a ban on selling them until a week before. Luckily my two doggies are ok with the noise, but I wont let my kids (! 21,18 and 9!) out until Ive checked there are no idiots throwing them around.They are really going to hurt someone very badly soon

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Dannii

Fireworks...
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 14:05 »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies, I was thinking of putting a blanket over their house in the evening which I still may do.

I went to pick upsome more feed and grit etc today from the rare breed poultry centre where I got my chooks from and asked them what they usually do, they said they have never taken any precuationary measures and they actually have fireworks in the grounds most years. They have never found achicken dead or traumatised by the noise and have not noticed any change in the eggs however they said potentially you may get a few wrinkly/funny eggs for a  few days after.

Hope this puts your minds at a bit more ease!!

Dannii

xx
Fireworks

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 10:26
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Fireworks

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 12:45
by Bigblacktaximan
xx
fireworks

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 08:22
by symonep
xx
Fireworks

Started by wanty on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 20:49
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.