Blight has arrived

• 27 Replies

fatcat1955

Blight has arrived
« on: July 21, 2012, 18:25 »
Went over the lottie this morning and all the outdoor tom's have gone brown and collapsed. Checked the spuds and the leaves were showing the first sign's of blight. Dug all the plants up and washed and dried all the tubers. Do you think they will be ok? All the top growth is now safely at the tip.

Goosegirl

Re: Blight has arrived
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 16:11 »
Should be ok - you've done the right thing.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 23:10 »
I get late blight every year at the end of August. As I know what to look for I can quickly pick all the fruit and it ripens fine inside on the window sills.
This year my plants (70 of them) were very slow and are only now starting to really flower. I think I've got one baby tomato!
And guess what.....blight has hit with a real vengeance in several places at once.
I can't understand why I've got it so early....the garden has a high fence and the tubs are all round the house walls.
Heart-breaking.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 00:43 »
Went over the lottie this morning and all the outdoor tom's have gone brown and collapsed. Checked the spuds and the leaves were showing the first sign's of blight. Dug all the plants up and washed and dried all the tubers. Do you think they will be ok? All the top growth is now safely at the tip.

The advised thing to do is to cut the tops off and either burn or bag them. Then leave the tubers in the ground for two weeks before lifting. This allows the sun to kill off any spores on the soil surface and protects the tubers.

In digging them you may have inadvertantly infected the tubers. Washing them may have got rid of the spores but washed potatoes are not good at long term keeping.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:24 »
Its a shame that "blight" posts dont have one of those squashed tomato thingies so that all the posts are together . The whole issue of blight needs a rethink , why for instance do you not compost the blighted tops ? has any research shown the spore can survive the heap if so what about the millions that fall into the ground they to must survive to . Why do most people compost potatoe peelings or worst parts of  pototoes without thought a more likley scource of infection perhaps even more thoughts need to be given to protecting the growing tubers from the surface soil (growing under cardboard or ensuring a heavy mulch )
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

penance

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:20 »
Blight in the greenhouse, first time that has happened. Not had one ripe fruit yet, gutted.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:02 »
have you really got blight or is it botrytis?

Botrytis is very common in the greenhouse, blight less common

penance

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:42 »
Pretty sure it is blight

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 17:46 »
Should be ok - you've done the right thing.

Going up tomorrow to strip all the tomato plants - An old Hungarian variety and Gardener's Delight. Two small tomatoes. Some evidence in Spuds; will chop foliage and leave tubers a couple of weeks. Here in Northampton when blight strikes there is no point in hanging around.
Last year was blight free.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 19:08 »
Its a shame that "blight" posts dont have one of those squashed tomato thingies so that all the posts are together .

Do you mean you'd like it to be a sticky?

We reduced the number of stickies after a complaint that there were too many.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 21:25 »
Yes I think its a hot topic at the moment ie two or three blight related posts on the first page perhaps it will only be "hot" for the next few weeks but it seems a shame that some very good advice is lost as its not repeated on every post . ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 22:53 »
That's not a bad point, but in my experience many members just post their own thread without doing a search for a sticky or other posts, so it probably wouldn't improve matters much.  ::) :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29 »
Yes I think its a hot topic at the moment ie two or three blight related posts on the first page ..

I think that is the key. All blight posts are not about exactly the same aspects of the subject. One purely links to the map, one has evolved on the topic of reporting and if all reports of incidents or suspected incidents were mixed in with all that, it would become very confusing and a potentially huge and unwieldy topic.

You can set topic notification for new posts on any thread. This will email you when a thread of your particular interest has new replies. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 08:49 »
Forums are essentially "now".  Last years advice may have changed in some ways by next year.  Links would become out of date for example.

Any topic which is of lasting interest can be added to the Growing FAQs and other Information forum.

If you think a topic needs to be kept just let a moderator know and when the topic is finished with for the season it can be archived there.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 18:25 »

Went down to the plot today,the new potato's had been looking a bit rough lately. Nearly all

the new potato's had all shrivelled up.I'm not sure if it's blight but cut all what was left of the

foliage and put into black bin bags.

I took some pics but don't know how to put them on here.

Cheers Carl

xx
Blight has arrived (possibly)

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 18:15
by al78
xx
Blight has arrived on my tomatoes and Sarpo potatoes

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 16:24
by Headgardener22
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Bluberries have arrived!

Started by becs on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 14:59
by Trillium

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 37 queries.