Cambridge blue.(with photo)

• 13 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Cambridge blue.(with photo)
« on: May 26, 2011, 15:38 »
Hi i am looking to add a couple of hens to my 2, as one has stopped laying and the other lays occasionally, I have found this beautiful hen called cambridge blue which is a cross between an Andalusian and a barred plymouth, does anyone know anything about this hybrid?
blue.jpg
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 16:04 by sneezer »

Casey76

Re: Cambridge blue.(with photo)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 16:09 »
I've never heard of that cross before, but it would give sex-linked chicks, so you would be almost guaranteed pullets if you bougt from a breeder.

i think you would get white eggs too, as I think the gene for white shells is dominant to brown.  But you can check by looking at the earlobes.  If they are white, then you will get white eggs :)

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 16:20 »
Thanks Casey, I think I will go and look at them this weekend- just to look or maybe to buy!! :D

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 16:26 »
Thats also known as a bluebelle, I have a 10 week old one :) Lovely chicken, they grow quite big and flouncy, very nosey, dont like being picked up very much though. I was led to believe that its a cross between a barred plymouth and a Copper Blue Maran....she'll lay dark brown eggs with white specks.
I fell in love with them as soon as I saw one too...so pretty. Dont think they're particulary unusual chickens, if you google 'bluebelle chicken' you get tons of sites that will tell you more.
I'd definately recommend them, mine is fiesty, friendly and lovely to look at. Cant comment on how she'll be once she's in a flock, but she's gaffer in the 'kiddy' coop, she's bosses my little speckledy about, so I think she'll be able to hold her own.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

mr.mellow

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 16:34 »
You can get them from www.cambridgepoultry.co.uk have a look at their website.

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 17:36 »
yes it looks just like my bluebell
april 2011 pics 338.jpg
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 17:51 »
... & mine! She also lays brown eggs.

She's very inquisitive, races off with the others first thing when I let them out but returns to supervise the poop-picking when I take the side off the ark, chatting away the whole time   :lol:

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 19:13 »
A BlueBelle is a cross between a RIR and a blue Marans, this particular corss was created in Poland, and as with Black Rocks, only a limited number of hatcheries in the UK are officially allowed to sell BlueBelles.

If the Cambridge blue is a cross between an Andalusian and a BPR, then it may look similar, but it will be a completely different bird.

NormandyMary

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 21:22 »
Thats also known as a bluebelle, I have a 10 week old one :) Lovely chicken, they grow quite big and flouncy, very nosey, dont like being picked up very much though. I was led to believe that its a cross between a barred plymouth and a Copper Blue Maran....she'll lay dark brown eggs with white specks.
I fell in love with them as soon as I saw one too...so pretty. Dont think they're particulary unusual chickens, if you google 'bluebelle chicken' you get tons of sites that will tell you more.
I'd definately recommend them, mine is fiesty, friendly and lovely to look at. Cant comment on how she'll be once she's in a flock, but she's gaffer in the 'kiddy' coop, she's bosses my little speckledy about, so I think she'll be able to hold her own.

Ive only just lost my bluebelle (Miss Gray) to a bl**dy fox. She had been on borrowed time after 3 fox attacks and one by a dog. I really miss her as she was SUCH a character. I couldnt get any more from the breeder. Ill have to try elsewhere as they are so pretty.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 15:10 »
thanks for all your replies, thats the website I found them on Mr.mellow (thanks for the link though,) I think they are lovely, so will go and have a look :D

Robster

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 17:11 »
Looks like my Violet.  Lovely big girl large mid brown eggs.  She came from Hadham poultry I think.
www.hadhampoultry.co.uk

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 08:39 »
I have a bluebelle (Betty Blue) that lays small white pointy eggs.  She is gorgeous to look at, loves being picked up and cuddled - but is very noisy and is pretty stupid with it!!
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 13:52 »
mine has brown eggs i think thats what colour bluebells eggs should be

Carshay

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:05 »
Hi I have a Cambridge Blue from Cambridge poultry and she is the best layer of my five. She lays white eggs but is a little nervy and is the only one I can't pick up easily. I would certainly have another so good luck!

xx
2 Hens to give away in Cambridge(shire)

Started by Nats on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 13:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Chicken Sitters over Christmas (cambridge area)

Started by rufty on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 15:38
by mumofstig
xx
My little Blue

Started by Green man on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 10:23
by poultrygeist
xx
first blue egg

Started by babe on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 22:01
by babe

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 29 queries.