Seed varieties for next year

• 10 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Seed varieties for next year
« on: December 09, 2011, 14:56 »
I'm starting to think of some new seed varieties to try next year. I saw a couple mentioned in Telegraph Gardening that look worth trying - Karmen, a red onion from seed, and brussel sprout Titus. Anybody tried these? If so, were they as good as the writeup?

I'm also planning to try a few things that I don't normally grow, because I've made more space for veggies this year. I'm thinking of swede, leek, seed shallots, celery, celeriac, so I'd really like some suggestions for good varieties to try for each of these.

This year I grew cauli All the Year Round, which did very poorly, so any suggestions for a better cauli variety to try? I also grew a seed which was called Calabrese Green Sprouting, which is kind of a contradiction in terms, and turned out to be the smallest broccoli sprouts I've ever seen. I'd really like to find a good calabrese variety that will give me a nice big central head, preferably green. Any suggestions?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Seed varieties for next year
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 15:14 »
First of all, caulis can break anybodys heart, they can be hard to grow, some can, some cant so dont worry.
Sprouting is that, its small sprouts of florets, many prefer it to the headed type as I do in spring.
I have grown for several years Ironman, this heads up really well and is very tasty.
Celeriac I have grown several times and love it in my mash spuds, well worth growing but its slow.
Leeks are a winter staple as is swede.

If you like winter cabbage, then try the Nero de toscana or Cavolo Nero as it is sometimes known, its a flat palm leaf shape Kale and is very nice steamed then tossed in a little butter.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 15:20 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Carrot Man

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 17:23 »
Carmen is an excellent cucumber and well recommended

Also, if you want a decent cauli with a good sized head, why not try Cornell or Boris
From Medwyns of Anglesey
http://www.medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/shop/vegetable-seed/cauliflowers/cat_29.html

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 20:12 »
It's very difficult, if not impossible to recommend varieties to others because everyone's growing conditions are likely to be different. All you can really do is try different ones and see what works for you. If you know other growers in your area you could try asking them what they've had success with.

Cauli AYR works well for me but I have a heavy slightly alkaline soil...just what they love.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:01 »
Solway gives a clue regarding any brassica, good solid soil.

Our allotments, as is the area we live, is reclaimed beach. Our top soil is very sandy and we have to put alot of effort to put goodness in every year.

My brassica row is prepared then I will walk up and down time and time again. No brassica like loose roots/ loose soil, it really needs to be compacted down, I also add some lime in the hole they are going in.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 14:41 »
I'm actually doing a lot of work on that bed this winter, putting down loads of compost and leaf mould, because the bed had been newly dug out from lawn and hence the soil was very compacted. And we are on a bed of clay here, sitting underneath all the top soil, so I don't think loose soil could have been the problem. They were getting more shade than I'd anticipated, but I've now cut back the offending horse chestnut branches so that shouldn't happen again next year, though I didn't think brassicas were too bothered about a bit of shade.

In a previous year I did grow some excellent caulis, albeit in a different bed, but sadly I can't remember what variety they were. And I do think I made a bad choice of variety for the calabrese, as I did want calabrese rather than sprouting broccoli, but the name of that variety had me somewhat confused.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 15:22 »
I don't dig and I find that brassicas do really for me when planted in uncultivated soil.  As do leeks and celeriac

I love the Ironman variety!  Cauli wise I like Walcheren  :)  Celeriac Monarch is a good sized variety. I grow celery (non-trenching) Victoria every year and I do really well with it, so I'd recommend it to anyone  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 16:18 »
Thanks, Queenie, that gives me some ideas. Any favourite leek/brussels/swede varieties? And do you have any favourite cauli varieties for autumn harvest (preferably white, there's just something wrong about orange and purple caulis)?

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 18:04 »
I grew King Richard leek this past year and was very impressed at how well it sized up so I'll be growing it again. Have tried many other leek varieties but they don't do as well as the King Richards did.

Most celeriac varieties will head up nicely if you remember to start peeling off stalks in June and water often.

I grew Tango celery and really liked the flavour and ease of growth. Will definitely grow it again.

Black Tuscan kale is a good grower and after all the bugs leave, it will leap back into production, much easier to grow than broccoli or caulis.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 19:04 »
Thank you.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 19:42 »
Any favourite leek/brussels/swede varieties? And do you have any favourite cauli varieties for autumn harvest

Musselburgh leek seem reliable for me.  Not a great fan of sprouts so just grow a few for the Christmas table but I do like Evesham Special.  Swede - Invitation or Marian have been brilliant.  As for caulis ... well, I had hoped by growing my own that I would get over my dislike of cauliflowers (like I did when I started to grow my own cabbages) but alas it is not a crop I will be growing again, but I did grow Snowball and everyone who saw them were envious of the lovely curds which I harvested in October.  Taste wise, I can't really say (sorry)

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 28 queries.