Advice and company for the Salisbury auction?

• 4 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Advice and company for the Salisbury auction?
« on: June 04, 2009, 14:25 »
Hi all.

I'm quite new to the poultry keeping (first girls arrived in March) but I'm dead keen.

I live near Guildford (Shamley Green side) and am thinking of getting up at crack of dawn to go the rare breeds poultry auction in Salisbury, as recommended on the forum by a number of people.

I won't be buying anything (HONESTLY  :ohmy:) but really want to go oo and ah at all the gorgeous chooks, and also look at ducks.

Two questions:

(1) Is anyone else going there who would like some company, say to meet up for a bevvie and an ogle of the birds, so to speak  :lol:? My OH teaches on Saturday mornings and can't come with me  :(

(2) Do those of you who have been before have any suggestions of the best time to arrive, how to look around and check out all the good stuff?

Many thanks...

No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

Foxy

Re: Advice and company for the Salisbury auction?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 14:46 »
Hi I am hoping to go, if not too busy. I like to go for a nose. It is on every month till about October, then starts again in Feb. The first time is always good to get a feel of the auction, print of a catalogue to take then you can match up the description to the birds in the cage. It does get REALLY busy though so be prepared for a bit of pushing around. I can PM you closer to the date if you want to meet up for a good gossip and a coffee! :D

poppies

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 14:59 »
Hi we usually go to the salisbury auction not sure about the next one though as it is the festival and have trouble getting on the ferry at the last moment

Arrive as early as you can to get a good look around as once bidding starts it is impossible to browse

wear warm clothing its always freezing there - like a wind tunnel

try to get behind the steward with the cane pointing out which birds are being bid on -less chance of getting crushed

Take no money with you unless you know you can be trusted not to get carried away

If you want to bid on hatching eggs they seem to go cheaper earlier in the day

If you do want to buy then you will need to go to the sales office and get a buyers number

If paying by credit card there will be a  2% charge

good luck and enjoy yourself

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 15:35 »
Cor, Poppies, you really know what you're about! I read and learn.

Foxy, a cup of coffee could be great if we can find each other. Have to say I'm not sure I'd recognise you from your "Average Chicken Keeper" mugshot, in June anyway!  :lol:

Any more takers?

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 16:59 »
Gosh I forgot how cold it can be!.....yes Jane, I am sure we will catch up...just have a look in the duck area at the woman begging her husband for just one more.... :D :D

xx
salisbury auction

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 00:52
by lucylou
xx
went to a poulty auction and bought a turkey - advice needed

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 11:30
by CMFAM
xx
Glad of your company!

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 21:04
by Evansent
xx
Do chickens need company?

Started by Hedge on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 21:48
by andy46

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 28 queries.