nippy chickens !!

• 9 Replies

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
nippy chickens !!
« on: March 26, 2011, 18:48 »
how are you chickens when you hand feed them treats?   mine nip my hands and really hurt! the little s*ds gave me a black pinch this afternoon. i used to keep chooks many years ago, and i dont remember them being so blooming nippy.
LISA X X X

ehs284

Re: nippy chickens !!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 19:23 »
HoHo. It seems to vary. Our Welsummers are hard peckers, the Warrens sometimes miss the food and peck the fingers. Others vary, the bantams are so gentle you can't feel them taking the grain.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 22:44 »
We have one who really pinches sometimes, one who hits quite hard without nipping - and one who has decided she doesn't do hand feeding.  And they're all ex-batts, just individuals.
ManicMum

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:45 »
Mine are a bit rough but not enough to hurt.  Each one has her own little habits.  Pearl likes to scrape the grain out of my hand with her beak then pick it up off the ground.  Patience flicks her head from side to side and throws grain everywhere. 

Minnie-Rose is the worst.  She pecks my hand quite hard when I'm feeding them grain, and if I'm digging in the garden and don't find her anything she pecks the back of my hand!  I'm trying to break her of this habit but haven't succeeded so far.  I have even tried "pecking" her on the forhead with my fingertip, with limited success. 

Cheeky little things!  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:27 »
When Minnie-rose pecks the back of your hand Lindeggs, put you palm gently on her back and push her down.  It's a dominance thing cockerals do to hens and will let her know you are the boss  :)

karenjayne

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:55 »
my brown ranger yesterday managed to nip me on the corner of my lip.  painful.  but partly my fault for having my head down too close.  we had her six months, and usualy will take food fairly gently from me.

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 13:37 »
my RIR preferrs to eat out of my hand,i find that on her own she is quite gentle and so is the barndelver,but if its the "mob" all 11 of them i find that some of them pinch my hands too hard,when i feed the RIR the little silkie waits at the bottom for the spillage and scoffs at that but she is too timid to hand feed alone.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 14:58 »
Two of mine are gentle one has a grudge because i kept moving her out of the nestbox when she was broody.
She closes her eyes as she pecks and tries to twist a piece of finger off.
Good job i`m thickskinned. :)

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 17:43 »
I do exactly like new shoot Infact anything they've done aggressive to me in the beginning I did the same thing now thry think I'm top bird and life is good

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 00:03 »
When Minnie-rose pecks the back of your hand Lindeggs, put you palm gently on her back and push her down.  It's a dominance thing cockerals do to hens and will let her know you are the boss  :)

Thanks for the tip, New shoot.  I will definitely do that next time.  At first, pecking her on the forehead worked (I saw one of the other chickens do it to her when Minnie-Rose stole a worm right out of her beak!)  But she seems to have become immune to that now.

I will let you know how the rooster-squish goes.

All mine are quite young pullets and not laying yet so they don't take kindly to me squishing and grabbing them, but like all rebellious teenagers I still have to keep them in line!  ::)

xx
Nippy weather round the corner

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 12:12
by Jane-M
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 38 queries.